Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Muliple Underbids

Muliple Underbids

Out of curiosity, I'd like a rough idea what people would charge for this job.

I gave the guy what I thought was a great price, below which I am not interested, and he claims he had several lower quotes from other people.
    I offered them at the price I did because I thought it might be fun, but I still want to make money. It was for quantity 100 9" hammers, engraving words and a simple small logo over about 90% of the handle (one side). One line of text,
    about 1/2" letters.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

No picture and what did you quote the price at?

So about 7" x 1/2" of engraving on an odd shape that takes a little bit of work to align the first batch. Multiplied by 100. 4-5 hundred dollars depending on how many I could gang up and the customer PITA factor.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

Yes I would say 4 to 500 we have to eat
    Dean Fowell

Support Engineer
    Cad Cam Solutions

Georgia USA Previously Down Under
    Corel, Inkscape, Solidworks, Solid Edge, Lasercut 5.3, PhotoGrave 3.0 Radan, Tool Shop Cad Cam, AutoCad 2013, Radan Cad Cam , Visiual Macro
    FLC1490 80 watt, Shopbot

OK, maybe I was high then. My price was $700.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

$700 is more realistic. I think I'm on the low side because I double dip when lasering (ie. sit next to the laser and program other work while it's running).
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

Joe , without any offense , it appears $700 wasn't realistic as the customer had multiple underquotes , I don't even feel $4-500 is realistic for this job. In my part of the woods I wouldnt get more than $2 per hammer and would probably even lose the job if I quoted at $2!!!
    In determining pricing for a job one has to take into account what other marking tequniques would cost , what the cost of the item is , what competiton you have around you willing to cut your throat.
    The problem these days is that you can buy much cheaper machines to do more or less the same as our more expensive ones can do At $3k , anyone with a bit of spare cash can afford a laser and all are fighting for a piece of the marking pie - driving prices downwards big time . Thats one of the reasons I am currently avoiding the promotional marking field .. no real profit in it and multiple problems. No matter how good you are in quality and turnaround , promo co's are fickle to a 1c price differential..
    One of the hassles of quoting for a job like the hammer and being radically underquoted is the fact that what was once a good customer , now sees you as a "rip off artist" , albeit you are NOT.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Blog Entries
    $4-500 is probably where I'd be.... I wouldn't touch those things for $2/each.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

It's worth my while at $2 - I have multiple machines and operators to program , run and load the machines , my operators get paid $200 a week , which is actually quite a good salary over here. Like in a lot of other countries , you cant really equate US$ with exchange rate $'s as exchange rates don't translate to what $2 is worth in the US , $2 here is worth more if you exchanged it to Rands and bought local goods etc.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodne Gold View Post
    my operators get paid $200 a week...
    I'd expect to pay close to $200/day out of my pocket for a good operator when you add in all of the taxes, benefits, etc. For that money, I am the operator Paperwork, setup, laser time, etc. for those hammers is several hours, easily, which brings the "hourly rate" dangerously close to dipping far below the magic $60/hr rate.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I would charge $2-$3 each. If the laser was already running 8 hours a day, I would say 4 or 5 dollars each.

I would think $6.00 to $7.00 each is a fair price. Run time of about 2-3 minutes each,+ set-up time.
    Plus the customer supplied the item and there is that risk factor. The problem with customers is they want the highend look of laser engraving but want to pay sublimation pricing.
    Tom Sieczkarek
    Cutting Light Custom Laser Engraving
    Epilog Helix -60 watts
    Sandblasting Cabinet
    Various wood working equipment

This comes down to business model and overhead. If you run a commercial business where your machine is idle until you get a run, you'd probably be more competitive. If you run a smaller shop or work out of home, your bid will be more competitive.

I see this as an 8hr job. If it makes you feel any better Joe, I think we'd bid at $7-10. I see this as a, I have to come in on Sunday and work all day baby sitting the machine, type job.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Hmmm . . . . if I quoted $7-10 I think I would have my Sunday free . . .

Probably $3-$4 each depending on how much work I currently have waiting. Could be $5 or more if I was already busy and really didn't care if I got the job.

*** NOTE: I still have a day job. I believe this is Joe's living.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC