Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Design Critiques 4: Jaime Tresserra Desk and Cabinet

Good thing those arches aren't yellow, Mark...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    Here is a large cabinet....Krenov on steroids
    More like on crack, IMHO.

It's a very impressive design, but far too self-conscious to qualify as Krenovian in my book. It also have too many straight lines, too many ridgid metal doodads. The curvature of the piece seems intended for nothing other than to call attention to the designer's ability to create a curved piece.

I agree with Jamie Buxton about Krenov's obsession with wall cabinets, and I have similar feelings about his, (Krenov's), other major obsession, i.e., cabinets on stands. I can't figure out where either type should go in the typical home -- even a rather large home. In a normal sized home they would not hold enough to be useful, and in a large home they would risk being drowned out by any other nearby furniture.

Nonetheless, when I see a Krenov piece I want to touch it; I want to look at it closely, not just at the technical aspects of the joinery, (which could keep me busy for weeks in and of itself), but also at the wood -- its grain, texture, color and variations within -- and the detailing, all of which I know was chosen for no other reason than because it was right for the piece, and all other considerations be danged.

But both of Tressera's pieces leave me cold. Once I am done with the intellectual admiration there is nothing left.

Yes, the cabinet is quite interesting, and possibly even practical for a certain type of person; Mickey Rourke's character in 9 1/2 Weeks comes to mind -- he of the closet full of identical suits with identical shirts and identical ties, all of the highest quality.

The desk is also very interesting, although it looks like it would be unstable on anything less than an optically flat surface. It would make a good lobby desk for one of those Swiss banks where they look at you like you're a terrorist until you produce the magic account number, at which time they treat you like family -- even if you happen to be a terrorist.

Getting back to Krenov, I guess the problem I have with both pieces is that they are design for the sake of design. The fact that they have been executed in wood is incidental. For me that's just the wrong way to do woodworking.
    ---------------------------------------
    James Krenov says that "the craftsman lives in a
    condition where the size of his public is almost in
    inverse proportion to the quality of his work."
    (James Krenov, A Cabinetmaker's Notebook, 1976.)

I guess my public must be pretty huge then.

I like the desk. The cabinet is nice but not great.

My feeling is that too many people are trying to put some of these designs in a context that they were not designed for.
    For instance the houses that I've seen in Germany do not have closets. Large cabinets like this are everywhere in Germany, as that's what they use to store all of there clothes in. As somebody else stated, the houses tend to be smaller. I can certainly see the desk being quite functional in a small NEAT German house where it is used to pay the monthly bills and the desk top is not littered with junk like my huge former-door-now-desktop is.

What I take from Mark's exercises is to apply the attractive features of a design and apply it to furniture that fits are American culture and needs. For instance if I was really crazy about the design of the desk, I might use it for the basis of a narrow dining room buffet table.

Bill,

Thank you! Or you could make it a few inches wider and set your laptop on it...or write a letter! The concept ...the details..that is what it is about. In these 2 pieces you see as much diversity as we see in an entire body of work of woodworkers we hold in the highest regard...how often do you actually sit in a rocking chair and rock...I can't think of the last time I did it? If Maloof would just not round the runners like that, you could use the thing and maybe type a letter in it...or eat a meal Then it would not be a Maloof rocker! Oh!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marcheck
    I like the desk. The cabinet is nice but not great.

My feeling is that too many people are trying to put some of these designs in a context that they were not designed for.
    For instance the houses that I've seen in Germany do not have closets. Large cabinets like this are everywhere in Germany, as that's what they use to store all of there clothes in. As somebody else stated, the houses tend to be smaller. I can certainly see the desk being quite functional in a small NEAT German house where it is used to pay the monthly bills and the desk top is not littered with junk like my huge former-door-now-desktop is.

What I take from Mark's exercises is to apply the attractive features of a design and apply it to furniture that fits are American culture and needs. For instance if I was really crazy about the design of the desk, I might use it for the basis of a narrow dining room buffet table.
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 01-25-2005 at 11:46 PM.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

They could serve Big Mac's from the drawer...not much room to eat on top though
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Good thing those arches aren't yellow, Mark...

I like the desk, and I really like the cabinet. I like curves. The curves draw me to the peice. The desk, however, is missing something. I like it, but the stand/base slightly reminds me of 1960's plywood furniture. It needs some slight tweeking, but I am not sure what? Maybe a little more detail added? Trim the base? I'm not quite sure.

I really like the flair of the cabinet. Modern, but I think also elegant and timeless. (Bet then yet, I really like the Krenov influence).
    Go Big, or Go Home... He who has the gold, makes the rules

Thank you!!

I just wanted to say something I hope you all know and understand. Each one of you is entitled to your opinion on the Design Critiques. I may not agree with you, but I greatly respect your opinions. I really like the interaction and I feel a bit of controversy is a good thing. If you compare the activity since we started the Design Critiques, you will see there is a lot more activity and life in this Forum. I want to thank each of you. Sometimes when we don't agree, I find myself asking questions like, "When was the last time you rocked in a rocking chair?" it is an interesting question...it is often difficult to draw the line between furniture and art...and that is ok! It is because we have passion about our work and the work of others that we take time to disagree....passion is a good thing! There are passionate people on this Forum and I want to thank all the members who visit this Forum for your thoughts, ideas and interest...we may never see things the same , but one thing for sure , we will learn from each other...Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    ...it is often difficult to draw the line between furniture and art...
    As diffcult (and useless) as trying to draw the line between architecture and art.

Mark, when are you going to present a design critique featuring furniture that looks like furniture "should" look (e.g., Chippendale, Hepplewhite, Louis XVI, etc.)? I'm curious to see what might come out of that.
    What this world needs is a good retreat.
    --Captain Beefheart

Quote Originally Posted by John Stevens
    Mark, when are you going to present a design critique featuring furniture that looks like furniture "should" look (e.g., Chippendale, Hepplewhite, Louis XVI, etc.)?
    Hmm...pretty subjective thing. The maker of the items "featured" in this thread certainly thought that his pieces looked like furniture "should" look...if a thousand folks were asked how furniture would look, there would likely be one thousand and one answers...kinda like an extended-family dinner on a holiday!

John,

It is all furniture! There has been an open invitation since I started the Critiques to accept suggestions. I really would like to have a Design Critique suggested by SMC members, just send ma a PM. To date I have recieved 2 suggestions, one was a chair there was only a very small photo of and we could not find a better. The other was from Ryan,my son, who suggested comparing the work of Maloof and Nakashima, I added Wegner to broaden the exposure of new work. If we submit an ordinary table...it may not be that stimulating, but , I am willing to try. I think even if you don't like these pieces,fine, there are still details, connections, hardware and concepts that are more thought provoking than a table with 4 strechers and M and T joints. We already know the subject, the construction, Please send me someting and I will try to use it in a Design Critique....this goes for all SMC members!

Quote Originally Posted by John Stevens
    As diffcult (and useless) as trying to draw the line between architecture and art.

Mark, when are you going to present a design critique featuring furniture that looks like furniture "should" look (e.g., Chippendale, Hepplewhite, Louis XVI, etc.)? I'm curious to see what might come out of that.

Upcoming work!

I wanted to thank, John Stevens, Tom LaRussa, and Jamie Buxton for sending me potential work for the upcoming Design Critiques. Since a couple of the candidates are currently producing these pieces and locally (USA) , I will need to get their permission. I think you will enjoy the suggested work...If others have suggestins I am still interested, but we are probably ok for the next 2 to 3 weeks.

another piece

Here is a third piece that he designed.
    Attached Images Attached Images