Thread: Mounting a Jet AFS-1000B Air Filtration System

Mounting a Jet AFS-1000B Air Filtration System

When I purchased my Jet AFS-1000B filtration system it came with both a ceiling and wall mounting system. I had the ceiling height, so I mounted mine that way (love it!). A friend is looking at buying one but would need to mount it on the wall due to ceiling height restrictions. Any thoughts / experiences with mounting the unit this way and how it performs ?

I have the same filtration system and have mine mounted on a concrete wall. I don't have one mounted to the ceiling so I don't really have that to compare it to but I haven't had any issues. It seems to be doing it's job, and I'm happy with it. I think the instructions give suggestions on placement if mounting on a ceiling or wall.

Blog Entries
    anyone else mount your AFS on a wall? i might be interested in doing that instead of the ceiling.

I mounted mine on the wall. I only have 8 feet to the ceiling and I didn't want the ducking factor even though I know my head would never hit it. It looks more out of the way on the wall IMO.

John

03232011052.jpg

I have mine mounted to a wall and have not had any problems. I did mount a small board on the exit side of it to direct that air out into the shop better. It is always a trade off about where you put it to get the best circulation from it and also to where it will not be in the way. I am certain that there may be a better place for mine but it does a good job cleaning the air. With my dust collection and the air cleaner, I get only a minimal amount of dust on the rest of my shop.

Blog Entries
    im surprised it would scrub the air so well not being in a more central location?
    my shop is 11x23 so mounting in the middle of shop on north wall should work perfect i hope.

Here are some general rules based on Nagyszalanczy's "Workshop Dust Control" and some of my own experiences and thoughts.

The two most important criteria for an air cleaner are the CFM and the filters. You want a CFM factor that will clean the size of your shop and a filter that removes the particle size that you are concerned about.

To determine the size or required air flow, use this formula: Volume of your shop (Length x width x Height) times Number of air changes per hour (typically 6 - 8) divided by 60. This will give you an answer in Cubic Feet per Minute which is how air cleaners are measured. MOST AIR CLEANER MANUFACTURERS RATE THE CFM OF THE FAN ONLY, but there are losses due to the filters. If you are building your own or if the air cleaner you are purchasing rates only the fan, figure you will lose about 25 - 40% for filtering losses.

As important as the air cleaner size is how and where you mount it. Try to mount at about 8-10 feet above the floor (no lower than 6'or 2/3 of the floor to ceiling distance if less than 8' ceiling). Mount along the longest wall so the intake is approximately 1/3 the distance from the shorter wall. Mount no further than 4-6 inches from the wall.

The exhaust is the largest determiner of the circulation pattern. You are trying to encourage circulation parallel to the floor/ceiling so ceiling mounting is not recommended. Use a smoke stick (or a cigar) to observe and maximize circulation. Use a secondary fan to direct air to the intake if necessary. Also, consider that a standard 24" floor fan moves a lot of air and, in some shops, just positioning it in a doorway with a window or other door open can accomplish as much or more than an air cleaner. It's all in the circulation patterns.

The exhaust is the clean air so that is where you want to position yourself. Do not place the air cleaner over the a dust producer. That will guarantee that the operator will be in direct line between the dust producer and the air cleaner. The operator wants to be in the clean air stream. If the dust has to pass your nose to get to the air cleaner, you get no benefits. If you have an odd shaped shop, two smaller units may be better than one large one.

DO NOT RELY ON A AIR CLEANER TO ACT AS A DUST COLLECTOR. The purpose of and air cleaner is to keep airborne dust in suspension and reduce airborne dust as quickly as possible AFTER THE DUST PRODUCER HAS BEEN TURNED OFF.

Finally, if you are looking for health benefits, you will not find any air cleaner manufacturer that makes health claims because there are few health benefits. CATCHING DUST AT IT'S SOURCE IS THE BEST LONG TERM GOAL. Rick Peters', author of "Controlling Dust in the Workshop", makes the point that spending your money getting the dust at its source is a better investment than trying to capture it after it is already airborne. If the dust is in the air, it's going to be in your nose and lungs too
    Howie.........

Sounds like good information I haven't read before. I can see the point in all of this except the mount no further than 4-6 inchs from the wall. Is that so the air then circulates around the room? What circulation pattern does an air cleaner in the middle of the room give? Might it not go down the room and circle back along both walls? Just speculating here

Mounting it slightly off the wall promotes a circular air circulation. I don't know what pattern may result if you mount it in the middle of the room. Get a smoke stick or a cigar and test it. That's the only way to know.

Of course, drawing the dust to the center of the room is not a good idea if that is where the woodworker is the majority of the time.
    Howie.........

Blog Entries
    dont forget about this possibility, i am trying the wall i think but im also going to build this tower to try too!