Thread: Cedar for turning???

Red face Cedar for turning???

Now that my working days for the Winter are behind me (I work on a golf course) I have a lot of free time until the end of March! While rooting around in a backyard woodpile yesterday I came across a bunch of red cedar that has been stacked out there the last four of five years! I thought that I would try turning some smallish, 3 or 4 inch tall candle holders from this wood as a trial! I can't find anywhere whether cedar is good on a lathe! How about you veteran turners clueing in this novice, can I safely turn aged red cedar! What would you suggest as a finish for this wood? Your input and assistance will be greatly appreciated!

Best wishes, Ky Joe

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Ruszczyk
    Now that my working days for the Winter are behind me (I work on a golf course) I have a lot of free time until the end of March! While rooting around in a backyard woodpile yesterday I came across a bunch of red cedar that has been stacked out there the last four of five years! I thought that I would try turning some smallish, 3 or 4 inch tall candle holders from this wood as a trial! I can't find anywhere whether cedar is good on a lathe! How about you veteran turners clueing in this novice, can I safely turn aged red cedar! What would you suggest as a finish for this wood? Your input and assistance will be greatly appreciated!

Best wishes, Ky Joe
    I have made bowls, candlesticks, pens, fan pulls, bottle stoppers and other things from red cedar. Turns and finishes nicely. On bowls I use and oil/wax finish. On pens and small items I usually use Crystal Coat & Wax.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Joe
    Here is a cedar birdhouse I turned a couple weeks ago. Cedar turns easily and finishes nicely.http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...id=14942&stc=1
    Those who sense the winds of change should build windmills, not windbreaks.

Dave Wilson

it dries out and cracks quickly

but the results can speak for themselves

Gary Max, an SMC member is a very experienced user of cedar in a variety of ways and turns it all the time. Look up his posts to see some good work in cedar!
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Thanks Big Mike----kind words from a fellow woodworker are always nice to hear.
    Joe I will post a new tread and show you some Cedar I just got done turning.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

Turning cedar

Joe, I have turned quite a bit of cedar. Great wood to work with. It will split a lot of times but that has never stopped me. The only caution I recommend is to be sure to wear a dust mask. To some people cedar dust can be pretty toxic. Other than that have fun and be sure to post some pictures.

Bobby