Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NE plate - mystery wood

NE plate - mystery wood

I turned this plate last week from wood I got at our club last year - off the back of a pickup after the club meeting. I don't remember whose and don't think I ever knew what the wood was, maybe Bradford Pear? It was very dry by the time I got around to turning it.

When I finally decided to not turn a foot or a flat spot on the base it was thicker than I would have preferred - I had left some to make sure it didn't end up a funnel once I cut off the tenon. I used some wooden beads for the feet and colored them black with a Sharpie.

Size: 9" x 4.5". Finish is Teak Oil and buffed, then waxed with Renaissance wax.

C&C welcome
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Kelvin Burton; 03-24-2011 at 9:50 PM.

That's cool, Kelvin. I like the whimsy of the beaded feet. Great color and curl in the wood and a nice looking curve... What's not to like?

I like this one a lot, the beads work. Really nice plate
    Owner: Silver Knight Studios
    Vice President Illiana Woodturners

Kelvin, nice work on this one, and the beads fit the piece very well. Sure looks like the grain of cherry, but may well be Bradford.

What a great wing Kelvin! You did a nice job of balancing the piece! I love the feet...what made you decide on them?
    Last edited by Jim Burr; 03-25-2011 at 12:53 PM. Reason: sorry...meds
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

I think the beads are a clever way to get this form up & off the table. Neat piece

Kelvin, I like it a bunch, the color is rich and the figure in the wood adds interest and flair. The NE is perfect and the little beaded fit is a nice touch, you did a great thing with your "Mystery Wood"!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Great piece, no matter what the wood.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

That is really a pretty piece. Nice job.

I like that a lot, Kelvin. Great shape.

Really a nice piece Kelvin. I do like the feet on this one.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Can't help with the id, but that's a sweet form, and the feet work well.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

I believe the mystery wood to be mesquite.

I am pretty sure that the mystery wood is Bradford Pear off my truck, and I want it back. Nice job Kelvin. I also like the beads for feet to get it to sit and have the smooth bottom. I am taking some real mystery wood to the meeting tomorrow as my wife says that my wood pile needs to move (but definitey still looking for more). Glad to see that the wood got turned into something great.

Great job in creating a very attractive and balanced piece. I have been working on a bowl from Bradford Pear and I just checked to see if the wood appears similiar to yours......it does. I didn't take a picture because your's came out a lot better than mine is heading!