Thread: non-mortise hinges and back bevel

non-mortise hinges and back bevel

I have 1 inset cabinet door to fit and in checking out NM hinges at Horton Brasses, they indicate to back bevel the doors 2-3 degrees. Can someone tell me what the purpose of this back bevel is and does it need to be added to all 4 sides of the door or just the hinge side or.....?

Thanks.

Blog Entries
    The back bevel is likely only on the one side of the door opposite the hinges, where it meets another door or the side of the cabinet in the case of a single door. The back bevel provides proper clearance so the door can swing through its opening arc.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I've always put the back bevel on the hinge side. My rationale was to ensure that the door closed enough when using inset doors. Without a back bevel I have encountered a couple times where the door wouldn't stay flush to the frame without holding it there. A small degree back bevel has solved that problem.

I've never had the door that close to the edge where it would require a back bevel on the side opposite the hinge, but I see where that makes sense too.

The heads of the screws in the hinge often are not flush and the door may not close fully as Chuck Schultz said. A small bevel helps.