Thread: Thought my lunchbox planer was dying.

Blog Entries

Thought my lunchbox planer was dying.

This past weekend, I was reducing some pieces of wood in thickness to make small boxes using my Delta lunchbox style planer. As I was running the pieces through the planer, I reached a point where the wood was just over 1/2" thick when I tried to lower the cutter head the crank didn't want to turn freely. When I tried to back it up it was also jerky like a tooth in the gear had broken. I started to dis assembly my planer and had removed the top and front side cover. I found two problems. One was a large chip of wood from a board (not any of the ones I was currently running) had gotten of the side of the table where it was preventing the cutter head from lowering beyond a certain point. The second problem I found was that in addition to the screw holding the raise/lower crank to the vertical shaft, there was a set screw coming out the side of the handle. This set screw had worked loose so it was hitting the housing around the base of the handle when I tried to rotate the handle. there was no loctite or nylock on this set screw, so it had worked loose through normal use and vibration.

Once I tightened the set screw and got everything back together, the raise lower worked just fine and I was able to complete the job.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

It does make you feel good when you find out your not going to have to buy a new tool and can fix the old one. I would put a little Locktite on that set screw so that won't happen again.