Thread: Lamello Hinges

Lamello Hinges

I would like to get some feedback from anyone that has used Lamello Hinges. I am concerned that they have no means of adjustment. As they appear incredibly easy and fast to install, if they work, they might be great?

I have never seen a Lamello hinge in person but they are really just a brass plated lift off hinge. There does not appear to be any advantage or disadvantage to them over more traditional rectangular lift off butt hinges. Does the oval shape make them easier to mortise? IE, you can use a biscuit router or something?

The advantage to any lift off hinge is simply that you can fit your doors and then easily remove them for finishing.

Disclaimer-we make our own line of brass lift off butt hinges (solid brass).

Think the whole idea is you use a biscuit jointer to cut the mortise.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Henderson View Post
    I have never seen a Lamello hinge in person but they are really just a brass plated lift off hinge. There does not appear to be any advantage or disadvantage to them over more traditional rectangular lift off butt hinges. Does the oval shape make them easier to mortise? IE, you can use a biscuit router or something?

The advantage to any lift off hinge is simply that you can fit your doors and then easily remove them for finishing.

Disclaimer-we make our own line of brass lift off butt hinges (solid brass).

I got some samples at the IWF, but never installed them. You leave the lid on, center your cut on the gap, then cut the mortise in both parts at the same time. Setting the depth of the cutter will change the position of the hinge pin, no other adjustments to it. You can over ride the lift off feature if you reverse one hinge from the other. I could never get over the cost of the hinges, for general use. I prefer barb hinges for my boxes. If you Google Lamello Duplex Hinges video, it shows the set up and install. Way easy!!!
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 03-10-2011 at 3:57 PM. Reason: added video suggestion

I used the Lamello hinges for a project just several months ago. The mortise is cut with a biscuit joiner. I used a Lamello on the D setting which is for the Duplex hinges. This setting is deeper than a number 20 biscuit. I don't know if other brands have this setting.

Cutting the mortise's was quick and easy and provides a perfect fit for the hinge. The only adjustment necessary is the fence height to ensure your cutter removes approximately equal amounts of material from each piece. You cut both pieces at the same time. There is no adjustment available or necessary for the hinge.

The one downside to the Duplex hinge is the screws. They are oval head screws and need to be flat head screws. The screws provided interfere with proper closing of the hinge in that it wants to hold the door open ever so slightly. I ended up taking a 1/4" drill blank and dimpling the tabs in the hinge holes to resolve this problem but really believe that Lamello should have just provided the correct type screws to begin with.