Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why a Stanley Type 11? I give up!

Why a Stanley Type 11? I give up!

I want to put together a beginner's set of useful planes. Right now I have a couple cheapo block planes and a Bailey #3 (Type 19, I think). I will shell out the bucks for a LN or LV adjustable mouth block, but I want to add a 4 or 4 1/2 smoother, a 5 and a jointer, (either a 7 or 8) and will be looking for Bailey's or Bedrocks in very good user condition. Down the road, I'd like to put together the money for an LN or LV LA Jack as well.

I've read Blood and Gore and the Type Studies for Stanleys. Very informative and the type studies help me identify which type is which. However, I can't seem to find info on why a Type 11 seems to be so much more desireable than other types. I've also read that a type 13 is pretty good. I'm sure the info is out there, but my limited search abilities don't seem to be uncovering it.

So, can someone please enlighten me or point me to a thread or site that will explain why the Type 11 is so well regarded compared to other types? Are there other good types I should consider and types should I stay away from?

Thanks for any advice you may be able to provide.

Archie

The type 11 just has most of the improvements that actually improved the planes -- frog adjusting screw, lateral adjuster, etc. I think it might have had a slightly heavier casting than later types, too. Maybe. And they were pretty well made. The main reason I like them is that they were the latest type that had (mostly) low knobs. I'm a sucker for a nice low knob.

Anything pre-WWII should be a very nice plane, and even newer ones than that will give you good workers. I wouldn't worry too much about type, unless you really want your user fleet to be a collection, too.

Everything Jason said and: Type 11, I believe was the last year for the low know which many folks prefer (I do) and I believe the type 13 was the first year for the logo on the lever cap and the SW logo. Type 12 was the beiginning of the 1.25 inch adjustment wheel which I like better. All the practical features seem to be relatively similar in my view so it becomes some personal preference withing these types.
    cheers
    pat

It's internet sensation. I have used type 6-18, and I can't functionally find much better about a t10 or 11 than a later plane.

I think (personally) t11s look the best, but to assert they are the best users ignores that most people would prefer a larger wheel if someone didn't tell them what to like first.

After tuning the planes, I couldn't really develop a preference other than to say I like any of the planes where the frog goes all the way down to meet the casting. High knob or low knob is more of an aesthetic issue than anything - especially given that most people are only going to smooth with their planes, or possibly edge joint (and for that, they shouldn't be using the knob, anyway).

So, for you newbies out there who want to get sucked into getting a specific type because you read something, where you'd let a cherry T13 go by because you were waiting for a mediocre T11 to show up in your price range...don't worry so much about type. Learn how to set up the plane for the type of work you want to do and try to get one that's in relatively good shape and run with it. There's nothing magic about a T11. I've had probably 8 of them, and I only have 1 now, sold off the rest. They are nice planes and they look nice, but they're not worth any more money as a user than a 10 or 14 or 13 or whatever.

I've never used a Stanley type 11, but I have two type 17's both a # 4 and 5. I like them. They seem to work very well, and since they are less desirable to collectors they were pretty cheap even though they were both very clean when I bought them. However neither of them have a frog adjustment screw. Do I need it? No, but I think it would be nice to have, particularly on the jack since I've been using it both for shooting and roughing.
    Last edited by Bob Stroupe; 03-09-2011 at 10:20 AM.

Testify, David! Amen Amen.

Archie, it's silly hype. Nothing magic about Type 11s. Indeed, if I recall correctly, they lack the raised ring casting at the base of the knob - another worthwhile improvement that stregthens the knob and looks nice too. ;-)

Many years ago one of the first guys to have a web site with a shop tour posted pictures of his collection of type 11 planes. I don't remember his name but type 11s have been popular ever since. Many of the so called type 11s are actually type 10.

I'm happiest with Types 10 to 15 because the fit of the slot in the frog to the rib on the base is tight, not sloppy as on the later types, and they have a frog adjustment screw. I also prefer the short knob but that's an easy "upgrade" from the tall ones. However, pretty much any of them perform well once fettled.

I have Stanley 4 & 5, both type 18, and they work wonderfully, and look pretty good too!

Tom, do you mean the 9's and 10's? They both look the same with two patent dates in the bed, and I've confused them. The 11's (3 patent dates, low-knob) don't seem easy to mix up.

I honestly thought the type 12's and 13's were the most desirable users. They seem to fetch higher prices.

Being a n00b I have four bench planes and two of them are type 10 and 11. I feel more in control with the low knob, especially on the #7 when edge-jointing. But I definitely prefer the large wheel on the other two planes (a KK and an English-made Stanley). Sentimentally and aesthetically I like the type 10-11 planes.

I think the ideal for me would be a type 12 with a low knob. My type 10 has an SW iron (added by the original owner). I'm doubtful of hype but it does seem to hold a usable edge a little longer than the others.

Meh, type-studies, shmype-studies. I don't have strong opinions, my general preference is "Anything old enough to have a pre-ogee frog. Bonus points if it has the frog adjustment screw." That said, my favorite plane is a ogee frog having, stained knob, user-replaced-tote number 8. Also really like my 6, and it's pre-frog adjustment screw.

In theory, that 8 shouldn't be desirable at all, but I just sold a type 12-ish 8 instead of this one. And I plan on keeping it until I there nothing better to spend $500 on except a LN 8.

A strong +1 on David's comments.

Also, unless you're a collector with specific goals, don't overlook the Sargent and Millers Falls planes. Both made some excellent tools. There are others also, Union for instance, but I'm not too familiar with them.
    RD

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Dooling View Post
    A strong +1 on David's comments.

Also, unless you're a collector with specific goals, don't overlook the Sargent and Millers Falls planes. Both made some excellent tools. There are others also, Union for instance, but I'm not too familiar with them.
    Union planes are fine, the basic planes that look like stanley planes are...an awful lot like stanley planes. the only planes I had that I really didn't like at all were KK series keen kutter. The frog drops off support of the iron way up, and the way the frog mates to the body is junky - they are a huge disappointment compared to the K series.

I also picked up a Shelton that came with a couple of nice Stanleys once. It was poor quality.

RD

I had another thought. I think one of the reasons that type 11 planes are popular is because they are pretty easy to spot. Low knob with 3 patent dates. Easy as pie. Never mind that late type 11s have high knobs. Most of the reasons are silly. My real preference is the low knob with frog adjustment screw. The rest is nice, but not as high on my list. Type 11s are just an easy way to get it.