Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Working with Pine

Working with Pine

Does anyone have a quick and easy method for getting up pine straw? I have about 1 acre with at least 12 pine trees that shed an unbelievable amount of straw and for years I have been using a standard multi tanged, manually operated pine stray extractor. There has to be a better way short of setting fire to my entire yard ,not to mention my house, shop, neighbors etc.

Blog Entries
    What about one of those large leave vacuums?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Creech View Post
    I have been using a standard multi tanged, manually operated pine stray extractor.
    Is this a fancy term for a "rake"?

Steve

I use a combination of a 3-point hitch mounted rake, and a chain tine harrow.

This is the first thing that came to my mind reading the subject of the thread. Pine (e-mail client) I need to get out more.

Every time I talk to a salesman about those yard cleaning machines they want to change the topic when I mention pine straw. Maybe I'll look into a hitch mounted rake. I'm just getting too old (lazy) too keep raking by hand.

Thanks!

We have one called EZ vac, same as any other wagon mounted system.

It picks up some of the pine needles, but not all of them. If you went slow enough, maybe it would get all but the ones wet against the ground.

Take your mower over your needles and see how many of them are moved when you run it. That'll pretty well give you an indicator of what the vac systems like that would move. If they are too heavy to be lifted by the deck, then the system won't draw them through. If, however, the deck lifts them and sends them out the discharge, then the blower would pull them through the system.

I'd imagine the salespeople don't want to talk to you about them because they don't want to get the machine back when it doesn't pick up all of the straw.

Pine straw=pine needles ?

It's a Southern term!

The problem with pine straw (kinda like needles, but more of them all at once) is that they don't have the right length/ surface area to weight ratio for them to be easily vacuumed up, especially when they mat and tangle together.

When I lived in Mobile, I used a lawnmower with a dethatching blade - the "prongs" kicked the straw up so the blades could whack them into the bag. Worked pretty good, although there were some clogs occasionally. Better than manual, at least. After the first one got involved in a bad way with a live oak root, I found one with nylon prongs that seemed to work better - like this one:
    http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...u=07133054000P

for about $25 it might be worth a try. Most of my neighbors raked them into a purposefully-made bare spot in their yards and burned them.

Man, I hated that yard in Mobile, all the plants were on different "dropping" schedules - 1/4 acre with 4 straw pines, 2 live oaks, 6 crepe myrtles and 4 popcorn trees: rake 20 bags of popcorn tree and crepe myrtle leaves in October, rake 30 bags of live oak leaves in May, then about 20 bags of pine straw in August. Oh, and Mobile was the immigration point for Fire Ants, so there were always plenty of them mixed in.

I also have a burn area about 8' in diameter that I pile it up to about 6' high. It normally takes about 12 to 15 burns to get rid of it all. I used to do this in late fall and again in the spring. Due to some eye problems last fall ( I just couldn't see myself raking it again) it didn't get done. Now I have a full years worth, 1" plus in most areas and my eyes are really starting to bother me again. I think I will try one of those thatch blade things as the pine has killed most of the grass/weeds and a reseed is in order.
    Thanks,
    Jim

Comrade,

I have a 60" landscape rake that will do the job if you have a small tractor with a 3 point hitch.

Thanks Comrade,
    All I have is one of those Gravely home version zero turn riding mowers with a piece of sheet metal with a hole for a drop pin. Where you been anyway? Been trying to call but I think I have an old number.

Advertise on Craigslist...."Free Pine Straw...U Rake"

Blog Entries
    How about one of these?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute