Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Lesson Learned Regarding Safety Glasses.

A Lesson Learned Regarding Safety Glasses.

The other day I deceided to make my own version of a "Rocket Launcher" tool rack. I was cutting my PVC tubes on my Rikon 18" bandsaw using the fence as a guide for the repetitive lengths of the tubes. I guess my tube was not at a true 90 degrees to the blade and it bound up and shattered. I never knew PVC shatters...IT DOES!!! After getting the crap scared out of me... I realized that I had six cuts on my fingers, a cut on my cheek just below my eye and a cut in the middle if my chest where the shard went right through my heavy shirt (that one bruised an area of about six inches-still sore three days later).
    I wanted to share my experience so no one else will get hurt.

Michael

I am glad that things werent worse then they were for you, it only takes a second for something like this to happen. I had a scare on my table saw years ago...a kick back that smacked my across the face and split my nose wide open, didnt touch the saw for months after that. Glad you are basicly ok though and that it wasnt worse,lets all be careful in our shops!

No one should run ANY wood working tool without at least safety glasses, and a face shield is probably a better idea. Glad you were not hurt and thank you for posting a reminder for the rest of us...

Michael. Really glad you weren't hurt any worse. Those kinds of things happen so fast it's unbelievable. Thanks for reminding all of us to be careful around our tools.

I was planning on running PVC pipes in my shop to have air hook ups at different locations. I read about the failure modes of PVC and discovered that it does shatter! Thats why copper or rubber is a better recomendation. I am glad to hear you are ok. Thanks for sharing!

Michael - stuff like that happens so quickly - there is no way to be prepared other than safety glasses and making sure that your hands are always in a safe position. Glad you were not hurt worse!

Thanks for sharing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Michael,

Reminders regarding safety glasses are always a net positive for everyone IMHO.

I lost an eye to a kickback accident 15 years ago, safety glasses would have prevented it.

Blog Entries
    Sorry you got hurt, glad your OK and it was not worse.

I wore my safety glasses, I used my Table Saw to cut the PVC.

I used my Incra miter gauge, it has and extending arm with a flip down piece for repeat cuts, I used it as a Wedge against the pvc to hold it in place. I placed a block of wood along my TS Fence before the blade.

I could then slide the pvc up to that block of wood then slide the miter gauge forward to make the cut, the pvc was Clear of the block before entering the blade, cut them like butter. I used the OEM blade that came with the saw, not my WW II.
    Remember, you are NOT your post count.
    American & Proud
    ~Powermatic 3520B~
    "The GOLDStandard since 1921"
    Graphtec CE5000-60, FlexiSIGN PRO 8.6v2, Refine MH871,
    Photoshop CS5 Extended, Illustrator CS5, CorelDRAW X4, Wacom Intuos3 6x11, Wacom Cintiq, Dual 24" LCD's on MoView Stand, GraphixCALC Pro 2.0.4, QuickBooks 2010, Grain Fraim.

I think it's much safer to cut PVC pipe on a miter saw than the bandsaw, for just that reason....

Cross cutting (or diagonal cutting) anything round is spooky because the beginning and end of the cut is not supported directly underneath by the saw table. Therefore, it can rotate and bind. I know, I did this only one time...one time only. Instead use a v-groove jig to better support the piece.

And Russell...that is a really, really hard way to learn a lesson. Wow.

-Jeff
    Thank goodness for SMC and wood dough.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Makiel View Post
    Cross cutting (or diagonal cutting) anything round is spooky because the beginning and end of the cut is not supported directly underneath by the saw table. Therefore, it can rotate and bind. I know, I did this only one time...one time only. Instead use a v-groove jig to better support the piece.

And Russell...that is a really, really hard way to learn a lesson. Wow.

-Jeff
    yup ... learned that lesson trimming a small log .... gets your attention!

I've had problems -- serious problems -- with my eyes for all of my 46 years.

At this point, I have to wear fluid-filled "scleral lenses":

They're actually made out of a polymer that's similar TO polycarbonate, in impact-resistance, and cover my ENTIRE eyeball !

But OVER those, I wear polycarb glasses.

Vision: you don't know what you got 'til it's gone.

Glad you're okay, and ... thanks for the reminder !

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Brooks View Post
    At this point, I have to wear fluid-filled "scleral lenses":
    Note to others: Do not do a Google image search on "scleral lenses" unless your heart is strong. The majority of them are Sci-Fi effects lenses (think Sith from Star Wars), and with how large the Google images are, it makes you jump a bit when not expecting it.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I've had a piece of PVC explode in a miter box. Had to change my pants.

Now I use a hack saw or a Saws-all.

Thanks for the safety reminder.
    RD

Thanks for the story. I think it is wonderful for people to share stories like this. We all can become complacent when a lot of time lapses between "close calls". It helps us think before we attempt something we have not done before.