Thread: Starter heaters for new electric motor,need help with size.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Starter heaters for new electric motor,need help with size.

Hi,
    I will be replacing 2HP motor with 5HP motor and need help with size of heaters for starter.
    New motor is 14 A and SF 1.Starter is Westinghouse A200M1CAC.I am lost,can someone please help.
    Thank you.
    Starter picture.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT
    Jaromir

Hi Jaromir, check with your local electrical supplier, however I believe part # FH45 is for 13.6 to 14.9 amperes.

Should be about $50 for three elements...........Rod.

Yes,FH45 is right.I did call electrical supplier today.
    Thank you.
    Jaromir

Quote Originally Posted by Jaromir Svoboda View Post
    Hi,
    I will be replacing 2HP motor with 5HP motor and need help with size of heaters for starter.
    New motor is 14 A and SF 1.Starter is Westinghouse A200M1CAC.I am lost,can someone please help.
    Jaromir, a 14A/230V motor does not sound like an honest 5hp motor to me. More like 3hp. Your Westinghouse Size 1 starter is a 3-pole (3-phase) unit, only rated for a 3hp motor at 230V, single phase. The starter's specs are listed in the ebay auction ad.

At any rate, for a 14A single phase load, you need only one FH45 heater. A #12 jumper wire can be used across the other pole of the overload block. The third pole is not used.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Lindley View Post
    Jaromir, a 14A/230V motor does not sound like an honest 5hp motor to me. More like 3hp. Your Westinghouse Size 1 starter is a 3-pole (3-phase) unit, only rated for a 3hp motor at 230V, single phase. The starter's specs are listed in the ebay auction ad.

At any rate, for a 14A single phase load, you need only one FH45 heater. A #12 jumper wire can be used across the other pole of the overload block. The third pole is not used.
    Chip,it is 3PH motor,starter is good up to 7.5 HP,if I use 240V -3PH.

Thank you.
    Jaromir

Quote Originally Posted by Jaromir Svoboda View Post
    Chip,it is 3PH motor,starter is good up to 7.5 HP,if I use 240V -3PH.

Thank you.

This is what happens when ALL details are not provided in a post, in most cases people here will be using single phase....

Then you are Good To Go, Jaromir! Three FH45 heaters will be needed in the overload block for 3-phase.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!