Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yippie..... Great Gloat !!

Yippie..... Great Gloat !!

It has been kinda like Christmas in March here today. My new PM 3520b showed up, and a 12"x12"x6" USPS box of box elder arrived from GA, compliments of Donny Lawson. I am not above begging, and he responded It took myself and another sturdy old gent about an hour to tear through the crate and boxes to expose the new lathe. It was up and assembled in the hour, but I had an appointment that kept me away till late afternoon. I wanted to get a feel for it, so I used a drying red cedar blank of about 9"x3.5". I can't speak harshly of my Nova 1624.... it did all I ever wanted to do, but the difference between the Nova and the PM is quite like a double A minor league prospect taking on an All-Star major leaguer. The PM is all that I have read about, and had hoped it would be. It is quiet, smooth, so far vibration free, and it has some doodads that are nice. I really like the way is brakes itself within a couple of seconds from shutoff, and the idea of variable speed is a real kicker. The fit and finish.... the less than perfectly smooth castings.... are average or better. It was packaged well, and went together without a hitch. One does have to plan on how to handle and assemble the very, very heavy parts. I believe that the variable speed, coupled with the smooth quick-to-stop feature can save a great deal of time if one is trying to turn productively. It is a heck of a lot of money, but as I am more than 6 decades old, I expect that there will be others, perhaps unborn yet, that will get much use out of this unit. I will update the ownership experience as time goes on, but currently I think that it is top shelf.....

The white USPS box is from Donny Lawson.... thanks Donny.

And a big thanks to the PM owners that provided assembly tips.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Finally!!! Fred, that sucker sure looks at home there - moved right in to a clean bed. Glad you didn't make the special day emotionally difficult on it with those old shavings you were talking about keeping!!!

Fred,
    Welcome to Mustard heaven. You're gonna love it. Best of luck.
    faust

Congratulations Fred! You aren't wasting any time! I'm sure you will like your Mustard! I like mine.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

OK I will be the first to say.... I HAVE TOOL ENVY! Congratulations im sure YOU DESERVE IT.

Congrats and welcome to the club! You'd get a dirty look in my shop for setting a pop can on the ways.

Fred - congrats on your new lathe! Looks like you have everything setup and ready to turn! Have fun!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

My excitement and enthusiasm got the best of me. I wanted to finish the small bowl and take a pic before the end of the day, and what can't be seen beyond the camera's lens is...... chaos. I cleared the runway to set up the lathe and see how it was gonna' fit. Now I have to get everything organized (..????..) around the new, bigger lathe. The empty, days old Pepsi was for scale, but I promise to never do it again. Plus, the ways had just been waxed. It is a beast for sure.

Congrats Fred. Now lets see a nice box elder turning.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Sweet looking lathe Fred and welcome to the mustard club. Congrats.

That's an Awsome lathe. One of these days I might own something like that. Now you need to slap some Box Elder on there and let the shavings fly. Where did you buy the new lathe at?

Quote Originally Posted by David E Keller View Post
    Congrats and welcome to the club! You'd get a dirty look in my shop for setting a pop can on the ways.
    I thought the pop can was something he had turned to show off. No one I know would be mean to a tool like that. Especially a MUSTARD.

Congratulations on the new lathe. You are going to love using it. That is going to be in my garage one day.

Congratulations Fred. Just wait until you get a real piece of wood on that monster and see how it handles the larger out of balance pieces to better appreciate its performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Donny Lawson View Post
    That's an Awsome lathe. One of these days I might own something like that. Now you need to slap some Box Elder on there and let the shavings fly. Where did you buy the new lathe at?
    Nice lathe and nice gesture.. yeah... get on that box elder!!!

Better either turn something on it, or pour a load of shavings over it, then take another pic and upload it here. If you don't, you might catch a rash of poop! Believe me...

Congrats on the lathe. It's a monster.
    I drink, therefore I am.