Thread: Lifespan for Evaporust

Lifespan for Evaporust

Hi. I've been pretty happy with the results using Evaporust. I like it better than using white vinegar. Besides the black color that comes with use, how long can you use it before discarding. Second, how do you get rid of it?

Jim

I just use it until it doesn't seem to be doing the job. The last time I used it I had picked up a big lot of auger bits, planes, chisels...all in all probably about 60 or so individual iron pieces. I used the better half of the larger bottle of evaporust, at about 10-15 pieces at a time. By the end it seemed that it just wasn't cutting through anymore.
    Last edited by john brenton; 03-07-2011 at 11:57 AM.

I have had a bottle for over 6 months and it is working. The question about discarding is a good one and I will check back as I don't know....John

One gallon will handle a pound of rust. Evaporust can be poured down the drain. The only question is whether the iron in used stuff is a problem, so they suggest checking with your water treatment facility.

This is from their website: http://www.evaporust.com/evaporust.html

Hey guys, appreciate the information. It seems that the temperature might be one of the factors that I might need to think about more. I have invested in two gallons so far and I should expect to de-rust a lot more metal. Thanks Alan for the site information.