Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: latest pens

latest pens

Here are a few of my latest pens I'd like to share. Thanks for looking!

- Joe

Birdseye Huon Pine Burl w/ Gabon Ebony accents:

------------------

Masur Birch one-piece cigar:

------------------

"Goldwood" celluloid modified slimline with blue PVC centerband:

------------------

Black walnut click:

------------------

Black Pearl Madreperlato acrylic with Ebonite grip (finial-operated):

------------------

Black and White Banded Tru-stone w/ matching finial and centerband trim:

Joe those are all beauties. I really like the birch one piece pen which the wood really caught my eye and the fountain pen.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Raised in the US (elementary in Lawrence, graduated in Boulder). Now in Israel.
    Amazing pens. Top quality!
    Can you please elaborate on the making of the Black Pearl Madreperlato? Is that how the set is planned to look (or was it modified) and if so who sells it?
    Thanks in advance,
    Norm

Thanks! The components for the Madreperlato pen are from a new "kitless" pen kit called the dns-Twister. Phil Irons is a distributer in the UK who sells them. They're also available in a mechanical pencil and sketch pencil version. A bit pricy when you include the special tooling (step drill and special mandrel for turning the tip), but it utilizes a top-quality Schmidt mechanism that drives a Parker-style refill, which is a nice combo. It also took me quite a bit more time than the typical pen (8 - 10 hours for this first one). But it is my favorite pen that I've made so far, and the one I carry with me every day. I do plan to make a lot more of these and experiment with other shapes. Hopefully after I make a few more, I'll get more efficient at making them too. Here's another photo of it disassembled (I have the spring on backwards in this photo):

I hate it when you post new pens Joe...I always feel so inferior!! Really...great work and some cool skills to aspire to!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Those are top notch, wonderful workmanship that we all strive to achieve. I really like the Birdseye Huron Pine Burl with the Gabon Ebony accents - that's one sweet pen.

Very well done, It is hard to pick a favorite, excellent photos as well.

Did you turn those between centers or on a mandrel?

Really nice work. Like that TruStone accent ring on the fountain pen. Nice touch.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Beautiful work once again, Joe!! The Birdseye Huon Pine Burl w/ Gabon Ebony accents is my pick of this litter!! I really like the contrast. The walnut would be a close second.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Kertesz View Post
    Did you turn those between centers or on a mandrel?
    Whenever possible, I like to turn each barrel between centers using steel bushings from John Goodin.

For the Madreperlato pen, I used various holding techniques including a collet chuck, a special threaded mandrel for the grip section, and several friction-fit tenons turned from scrap wood.

12. Joe,
    I am running just now behind time and I want you to know you deserve a STANDING OVATION. What you acheive is exemplified in your quality pictures. You already know of my great passion in using Huon Pine another rippa. The Black Walnut Pen needs a hex shape and as I do this I will experiment further with this pen kit to explore the possibilities myself again. The Masur birch pattern is stunning,Celluloid casts a spell and for ancient (76 yr olds like me) stirs the blood with memories of this material pre plastics. The colour is fiery. The Black Pearl is mysterious like a Submarine long and sleek in camoflage definitely worth pursuing IMHO.Your treatment of the Truestone is amazing mate. There now I am late but it is worth it to reiterate as I have on many occassions so well made and photographed go you good person. Now for those on this forum let it be known Joe is a groundbreaker with the courage of a Lion for mine.

Cheers mate. Kind regards Peter.

Beautiful pens, Joe. I'm always amazed at the way your pens fit the hardware. It's always a nice smooth transition....

You also do a great job with the finish. What do you use?
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

Joe, All agree your work is amazing. I add my praise as a loud cheer! And, would ask that you tell us more about your camera, setup and settings. Your pics are so clear and crisp. Fantastic. Phil
    Philip

As always Joe a very nice selection of pens. Well done and thanks for showing.
    John T.