Thread: Cleaning Drum Sander Paper

Cleaning Drum Sander Paper

I am wondering what suggestions there may be for cleaning the residue build up off the sandpaper from the drum sander. I have been using Mineral Spirits/Paint thinner. I spray in on, let it soak in for 4 to 5 minutes, then using a utility knife I am able to pick the strips of build up off. On occasion there will be some that requires soaking 3 and 4 times before it all can be removed.

Any suggestions? What do you use? What are your methods for cleaning them?

Thanks.

Dave,

what would be wrong with using one of those "Belt cleaners" ? It's like a big rubber eraser. You just start up the machine and touch it to the belt and it removes a lot of the build up and makes the paper cut much better. I'm a bit confused about the link posting rules but I'll post a link to one. If it's forbidden, let me know and I'll remove it. Thanks.

http://www.vermontamerican.com/produ...281&GRP=166971

Good luck !

Not sure if this applies to a "drum sander", but I have a giant "eraser" that is designed for belt sanders. I use it for a completely diffeent purpose not related to woodworking, but check with your local hardware store. Mine is about 2"x2"x8"...but they come longer. Its a hard yellow sort of rough rubber eraser.

WOW...stereo repsonses!!!

Dave,

Aren't you talking about the glue residue on the drum it's self?? Just checking to clarify and if so what about Goo Gone. Works on glue residue of labels and such.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Dunn; 01-23-2005 at 9:48 AM.

You can use a diluted solution of either Simple Green or my favorite is Castrol Super Clean found at Wal Mart in the auto section. For larger belts spray it on and the rinse with a hose. For the smaller belts, roll them up and soak in a glass jar for about 10 minutes and then rinse off. If you let them soak too long or use a solution that is too strong, the Super Clean will actually start breaking down the belt itself.

This will even work on belt burns. The larger eraser a fine as long as you use them before the belt gets too far gone.

Perry

I guess I wasn't very clear about what I was asking. I do use the "eraser". That takes care of the majoriaty of it. I work with a lot of recylcled wood and I will get "streaks" for lack of better terminology on the paper. The eraser will not take those out. Never thought of Simple green Should have, that is what I use to clean my blades.

The only time I have to clean my drum sander is if I sand PINE, which is very seldom.
    Earl

You can take them to a manual car wash and use tire cleaner on them. Then give them a high pressure wash. Let them dry completely and they are ready for use.

I only use the belt cleaning sticks.