Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Plastic thingy on small power tool cords

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Schaffter View Post
    Many of these cord bumps are not sophisticated RFID tags, just basic, short range, anti-theft devices. They contain a passive circuit (often a diode or RC circuit and an antenna) and can be as small as a grain of rice and are often mounted in a plastic strip.
    Actually, I think most are more simple than that - usually just two pieces of metal with varying magnetic permeability. They are detected because the sensors at the store entrance emit a pulsing magnetic field that causes the strips to mechanically vibrate against each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    Actually, I think most are more simple than that - usually just two pieces of metal with varying magnetic permeability. They are detected because the sensors at the store entrance emit a pulsing magnetic field that causes the strips to mechanically vibrate against each other.

Could be, there are a number of different electronic article surveillance (EAS) systems out there- swept and pulsed RF, electromagnetic and acousto-magnetic (pulsed RF-based used at Walmart and Home Depot, see pic), older microwave, etc. One of the more recent approaches is RF-based "source tagging" used by Target- the ultra small tag is embedded or woven into the item at the factory.

Walmart EAS

Quote Originally Posted by myk rian View Post
    it is in fact an rfid device. If it was a ferrite core, the entire cord would be wrapped around it, and make a knob 2" in diameter on your cord.
    You can remove it.
    this is true......

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Butler View Post
    this is true......
    Unless it is a small cord. Look at the photo of my camera USB cord a few posts back- the cord wraps the ferrite 3 times and the whole thing is the same small diameter (1/2"?) as the EAS bumps. Be careful investigating and opening the bumps on computer, camera, and other sensitive electronic device cords and connectors. They are more than likely noise reduction devices that protect the equipment (not prevent it from making noise) and likely not an EAS tag!! Who cares if a drill, router, etc. makes a little RF noise.
    Last edited by Alan Schaffter; 03-16-2011 at 2:58 PM.

James and Don - still think it's a ferrite noise suppressor ?

Hmm, neutering your tools, just seems so wrong. I can't even bring myself to cut that silly euro plug off of my Festool vac.