Thread: Has anyone put a Wixey on a Jet 12" Jointer/Planer

Has anyone put a Wixey on a Jet 12" Jointer/Planer

The pictures on th eWixey website are good but create more questions than answers.

Which Wixey? They have some photos of the "Portable Planer" WR 510 model mounted to a JJP-12, but the way it is shown, it reads backwards (negative numbers). The usable range is also slightly shy of allowing enough travel to flip the dust hood.

Wixey also has the "Remote Planer" model WR 550 that works much better (12 inch range vs. 6). I have mounted the WR 550 to my JJP-12 and am very happy with it. Unfortunately, I am away from my shop for a week and do not have any photos with me.

Richard

Thanks Richard. I would appreciate seeing what you have done. I have the 510 (gift) and didn't realize the limitations you mentioned.

I also received the 510 as a gift (it was a "white elephant" at my woodworkers guild holiday party). I contacted Wixey and asked if I could trade up. The 550 was not in any local stores yet. I was able to trade in and pay the difference through Wixey. I would strongly suggest trying to trade up either in a local store or directly through Wixey, as the WR 550 is a much better fit for the JJP-12.

Not the best picture (crop from larger shot that I did have with me) but here it is. The rail is mounted next the the handwheel, the readout is the small black square near the locking lever for the hand crank (easy to see when you are raising or lowering the table). I mounted it on the corner, as I thought it was less likely to get hit by a board.
    Wixey on JJP-12.jpg

When I get back home I can take better shots.

Richard

Thanks Richard. That is what I am going to do. Pics would be appreciated plus any advise or "watch-out-fors".

If you don't have the DRO yet, I have the Grizzly (iGaging) 12" DRO as does Matt Meiser. Remote readout, holds it's calibration, good battery life it seems (2 CR2032 batteries) & $35.00. Richard is right-the 6" is not long enough, the planer bed has to be able to travel 6"+ to switch from planer to jointer.

Here's my iGaging install. Unfortunately its been a crazy winter and I haven't gotten much time with it but my initial impressions are good.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...eadout-Install

I know this is a very old question but is there any more information on how to attach the Wixey wr 510 to the Jet 12inch planer I understand this is a new model

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Murphy View Post
    I know this is a very old question but is there any more information on how to attach the Wixey wr 510 to the Jet 12inch planer I understand this is a new model
    Jet Planer or Jet Jointer/Planer JJP-12/JJP12HH? A DRO with 6" of travel will not work on the Jet JJP-12 jointer planer. The table has to move 6 1/4" in order to switch modes. The Jet 15" planer looks like a standard 4 post planer which I don't have so no help there. Given that 4 post planers are very common I'll bet there are directions 'out there'.

Blog Entries
    I have a Wixey on my Dewalt planer. It works well and accurate.