Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: "old money"

david..."art" is the only race where the slowest person can win. there are no rules. "craft" requires a certain amount of skill. i like walking the fence between the two. after winning "best in show" at the smithsonian craft show i wasnt invited back the next year.....there was some "no fair. not really craft" and on the other side i get a lot of "well done, but not really art".

i had a good friend and mentor named saul steinberg. he told me to "figure out what you do best and do that..everything else is banging your head against the wall". so thats what i try to do and let the chips (pun intended) fall where they may.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by randall rosenthal View Post
    there was some "no fair. not really craft"
    What did they want, spraypainted cotton balls stuck to toilet paper tubes and surrounded by craft-store ribbons?
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Probably rubber band guns and yard ornament kits.

actually the stuff in the smithsonian craft show is generally off the chart great. really worth a look if you are near DC in mid april.

Randall, thanks for sharing this process. It is truly inspiring. You certainly have a wonderful gift and I always enjoy looking at your work. Looking forward to seeing more in the future.

Chuck

thanks chuck

heres an april's fool gift for me.....article came out today.
    http://www.lipulse.com/art-music/art...arved-into-art

this week a Japanese TV station came and did an interview. they recreated "old money" and a few other kinda hokey bits.......but it was fun ....and they paid me.

i'm not going to rehash the whole process but here is a shot of the next box. its a commission based on the first one

my wife caren too this shot. it shows my work environment. i am not neat and orderly. color coding the tools has saved a lot of time(there are 4 x as many on the table as in the photo) as they are generally scattered about. the two six by sixes have saved a lot of time. i can stick the sculpture between them at all sorts of angles .

Blog Entries
    You're not taking time shots of the process The shot your wife took is just about perfect, but have her do it once an hour
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

dan...i documented the whole process like the first one. these are caren's shots. she has a bunch of me working and some interesting "hands shots". i'll post them shortly. i'm working on 5 other projects at the moment.

moving right along

another view

Fantastic. the corrugation and the raised tape are excellent touches. There's got to be quite a bit of flex in those edges of the raised tape going around the boxes (like the one on the right side of the picture above).

Absolutely jawdroppingly good!!
    Just awesome.