Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: "old money"

OK....here we go again. the envelope sculpture is just so you know big the block is. over the next few weeks this should become a pile if newspapers. at the moment i'm thinking the NY Observer....which is salmon colored.

Quote Originally Posted by randall rosenthal View Post
    thanks bruce....heres a closer view. i really enjoyed painting this car....all brushwork, no airbrush.
    really really exceptional, it never gets old. It could be either the carving or the painting, and either would be notable, but the two combined together is really exceptional.

I don't think I've been as awed since I was 12 years old and saw that rubber vomit . Of course it's art. Inspiring art in encouraging all to see the beauty of everyday life, and elevate it with a skill. We see paper made of wood every day but you have beaten the machines and when you sell it I hope you prove a box of your money is worth ten boxes of the buyers money. You should be as pleased as MikelAngelo was when he finished the statue of Moses and hit him on the knee with the mallet and said "Now speak !".

thanks.....mel...you cracked up my wife caren.

ok...an hour later

a little later the same day.

this part is very physical....smacking away. a little restraint is needed cause once its gone...its gone. still the same day.

end of day one....

Randall, absolutely incredible! Without a doubt one of the most incredible sequences I have seen. Without the process pictures it would be hard for me to believe... it's that good!
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

thanks rick.....i like that einstein quote myself...

it moves pretty fast at this stage

worked outside for awhile.

starting to turn those shapes into something that resembles newspaper sections...sorta.

a few weeks from now keep in mind this is day 4. most of the work so far is done with these tools and a few larger gauges in the beginning.

Randall, Not only are you are unbelievably talented, but I'm amazed at how generous you are. To share your process here and take the time to answer questions is a rare thing.

How often do you sharpen? What do you use to sharpen your tools?
    Thank you so much sharing your talents here.

thanks andrew....as stated previously...it's usually pretty easy to get an artist to talk about his work. frankly i get more pats on the head than any human needs but what i'm looking for here is interaction with people who care about carving wood...so i appreciate your question. i'm completely self taught and can certainly learn a thing or two myself. i also have disturbingly messy work habits.....oh well.

i sharpen the easiest way possible. if i use a tool for five minutes or for the first time on any given day i sharpen it. i have a cotton wheel on a bench grinder...about 7 X 1.5 inches. i use jewelers rouge and a very particular way of doing it. keep in mind it takes about 20 seconds. my theory is get it as sharp as humanly possible and never let it get the slightest bit dull.

most of the tools i use are skews, knives, but mostly flatish gouges. all by eyeball and hand feel...i do the beveled side first , than the flat side....rolling the tool on the charged wheel. then .....i roll the beveled side of the tool on the slightly charged upper part of the side of the wheel , then on the clean lower part near the hub. works for me.

i do flat tools this way also but will occasionally retrue them with wet dry sandpaper on glass and some oil.