Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: "old money"

Looking good, Randall!

I've always meant to ask you if you are carving from a model/photo or is it memory/imagination?

Btw, the grain of the pine looks like waterstains in the cardboard...cool.

Thanks for doing this for us.

Kevin

thanks kevin.....my theory is there is nothing easier in the world than getting an artist to talk about his work. pictures just make it more fun. i don't do any prelim drawings. on occasion i will arrange the real thing (or a facsimile) and start off in a vague direction. considering that when the wood is gone its gone i work very fast and loose making it up as i go. if you want a pile of anything to look and feel random the best way to do it is for the most part let it really be random. makes for some interesting challenges with negative space. i roughed out the very beginning with................a chain saw.

How often to you have a show stopping failure? I could see having a lot of hours invested and having the box flaps just crack and break off. What do you do?
    BTW Randall, the weather's starting to get nice in NM!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

bruce....take a good look at the extreme left of the last photo where the flap sticks out......and in the future you can see what i did with it when i dropped the sculpture (not very far) and broke it off. no glue...no going back.

i spoke to my friend in santa fe this week ...i would love to come out for a few days but i dont think i can swing it.

Blog Entries
    Randall,

Have you ever considered one of those stop motion videos? That might make for a very interesting post... a picture is taken every minute (as an example) and becomes a single frame in a video. A single day's worth of work is condensed into 8 seconds of video. If a project takes you several weeks, you have a several minute video that shows the work from beginning to end. I always find those fun to watch...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by randall rosenthal View Post
    the next day....just wondering if anyone is following along?
    I sure am.

dan...i have but ive been to lazy at this point to set it up. another problem is the sculpture has to be in exactly the same spot with a fixed camera. i did six months of time lapse sunsets from a cliff over the ocean in my back yard in california. pretty cool.

Blog Entries
    Not necessarily, Randall. Take a slightly wider view of your shop so we can see you (quickly) moving around the project. Spin the project around, as necessary, to make it easy for you to work on it. I just think it's neat seeing the process, not just the item itself slowly changing shape. When it's finished, show some stills from various angles at the end of the movie.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

dan...that actually makes a lot of sense. i have a commission to pretty much make this piece again (be careful what you wish for). maybe i'll set that up. meanwhile.....digging in a little deeper

dan...thats a very good idea.

oops!! broke the corner off.

last shot disappeared...moving on...trying to "fix" the broken corner

a few days of carving the corrugated edges and its time to play with paint. that dosen't mean the carving ends.

That is really cool, Randall! The depth in the box is incredible...how do you do that without making a mess of it? The curled edge/corrugation of cardboard is amazing! Thanks for sharing.

Kevin

I'm following in awe also, Randall. I have the same question as Kevin: how do you make those deep, clean cuts such as the area between the money and the inner box side in the lower right-hand portion of the carving in that last photo? As always, amazing work!
    Last edited by Dave McGeehan; 03-16-2011 at 9:11 AM.

dave....sharp tools and a willingness to sneak up on it. i see it in my mind and rather than try and make a few big cuts i make a lot of little cuts...however i do it fast. one thing i do is make everything slightly larger than i really think it should be. later i will trim back and it will give it a look of complexity. its more about tenacity than anything else. the stacks fall out randomly the way they do and there is no short cut to an honest rendition of them.

OK...i'm tired of carving at this point so lets play with color.