Thread: Bench Thread: suggestion for best shaker design

Bench Thread: suggestion for best shaker design

I've made a few decsions for my bench, need help designing the cabinet under the top.
    What I've decided:
    1. 4" maple top
    2. BenchCrafted leg and end vise
    3. sliding deadman
    4. General size: 24" deep, 6' long, 32" high (all +/- a few)
    5. supporting cabinet beneath w/drawers for hand tools

"Shaker style" used to describe it, but not married to specifics - I just need to build a useful, closed, solid cabinet beneath a huge maple top. I really need the storage, and want it enclosed to help keep dust buildup minimal. What I'd like help with is
    1. General design that supports the top
    2. number / size of drawers
    3. material for cabinet and drawers
    4. material for vise (ex: while the top will be maple do I want to do a hunk of cherry for the leg vise, etc)

Willing to use power tools - this is going to a solid wood practice piece that will be a tool to be used to build a lot more stuff around the house. I'm not captain dovetail, and this isn't a showpiece - it will get used.

Any help appreciated.

I would recommend that you do a Roubo, and then put a removable bank of drawers (could easily be two sided depending on the width of the bench) under the top. You can put the bank "across" the stretchers, put a shelf at the bottom of the stretchers, and use the space between the bank and the stretcher shelf for storing long items accessible from the end.

One thing to remember when putting storage under a bench is you either have to close the top of the storage, or you have things falling through dog holes into your storage. Also, keep in mind the type of dogs and holdfasts, if any, that you'll be using. You'll need clearance under the bench top for wherever these are likely to be projecting.

Probably the best domestic material for the leg vise is going to be ash. You want strength and resilience. You can use cherry, you'll just have to make it bit thicker.

Hand tool drawers - Layout the tools you intend to put in the cabinet, and size the drawers appropriately. Keep the drawers as shallow as you reasonably can, doing so will allow you to have more drawers. It doesn't make much sense to have a 4" deep drawer for chisels. Also, understand that any tools in the drawers are going to be less accessible than they might otherwise be, if you need one while you've got the drawer blocked with a workpiece.

American Woodworker did a great article on a Shaker style bench about 8-10 years ago, and you'll find one in Scott Landis's book as well.

good luck!!
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

thanks John, esp for the tip on Ash for the leg vise.

Also on getting to drawers when workiing on a piece ... this bothers me too.