Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spindle Roughing Gouge - your favorite size??

Spindle Roughing Gouge - your favorite size??

I am still using the spindle roughing gouge from my HF set of tools, and while it works fine, I would like to have one that is a little heavier and wider.

What size do you like? I don't believe Doug Thompson makes a roughing gouge, so I am looking at the BB 2" model, but it sure seems to be large compared to what I am using - which I think is 1".

John, Doug does make a spindle roughing gouge. I have one and use it a lot. That being said, I really like my Crown PM SRG. It just seems to feel better in my hand.

Joe, I didn't see a roughing gouge on Doug's site, but I have emailed him to find out. What size is your Crown PM?

I just use a Crown Pro PM 3/4". Best of luck.

John,

My favorite is my Sorby 3/4"....gold model....
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

John,

I am sure this is not the answer you are looking for by I do most of my spindle roughing with a 1" skew using a peeling cut. It is much faster and when I want the stock straight and round I find it much more accurate.

Alan

Alan, that probably is the best answer, but my skew and I are not on the best of terms. We have serious disagreements at times, and rarely speak to each other. I occasionally will permit it to do some minor tasks, but we don't discuss anything further!!!

The bigger the better. I have a crown 1 3/4" roughing gouge. It has some great mass. I just love it.

HTH

Quinn

John,

When I was training the skew and would have a problem such as a catch or a skate, I would speak to it firmly and say "Bad boy no more of that" and proceed. About 10 more hours of training and it would eventually get better. However you must keep up with the training or it will fall into its less than desirable ways.

Alan

John,

I use a P&N 1 1/4" and like it quite a bit.

I only own 1 roughing spindle gouge. That is a 3/4" Sorby. I use it on small stuff, but my "go to" roughing gouge is my 1/2" Sorby bowl gouge.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

P&N makes a nice roughing gouge...however they have had some issues with the inside flute milling for some reason.

I usually start with a 1" BB roughing gouge and finish with a 1" traditional grind skew.

Yep, soon as I can afford one I too would like to try a bigger one, mine is probably a 1" also.

Sorby 1.5"