Thread: Lathe for sale locally. Deal or no deal?

Lathe for sale locally. Deal or no deal?

The guy is asking $600. I cannot tell what model number it is, but I am sure it is out of production. I would like a lathe that has variable speed of some sort. I have a Ridgid lathe now and it is not my favorite. It is hard to adjust the speed. And with the way the Ridgid is built, you cannot use any accessories on the bed.

Please let me know what you think

Click here please
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

For variable speed it has a Reeves Drive which isn't very reliable. I have that on a Delta drill press and it's been replaced twice. For that price you can get the Delta 46-460 1 hp., 12 1/2" swing plus extention for a few dollars more........Ron
    A turning a day keeps the doctor away.

The lathe in the link is still made and is one of the better ones on the market that use a revis drive system in my opinion. I don't know if I would pay that much for it used unless they would through in some more goodies. One of my students bought one for less than that this year which included a chuck and extra jaws. Here is a link to a new one for sell. Look at the belt before you buy. It isn't real easy to change.
    Jack
    http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CDIQ8wIwAw#

It looks like a 14" model and definitely has a reeves drive, which (in my opinion) are hard to adjust, and are notoriously finicky. I'm not sure what the new ones go for, but $600 just doesn't sound like a deal, especially when I got a brand new 12" delta for $50 less.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Thanks everyone. Nice to have a source of good advice
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

I have this "14 Jet lathe and never had any problems with it. Yes it is a Reeves drive which are fine but do have limitations. The worst of which is the startup speed for large out-of-balance pieces is too fast unless you like the pucker effect. However, any dangers are mitigated by exercising good lathe habits and bringing the tail stock up for support....of course step out of the spin zone just in case.

I was going to sell mine but it is nice to have a 14" backup lathe for my primary Mustard Monster. I wouldn't expect to get $600 for it. So I think the price is high unless you can get some extra's tossed in.

If you are interested, you need to check out the wear on the belts since Reeves drives are harder on the drive belts. I believe a replacement belt is stocked at the national car part stores which you can call.

That is a Jet 1442 and is a good lathe - but - it really depends on what it is you want to turn. The Jet would be a good spindle lathe but as others have noted - the slowest speed is still very high for some facegrain work.

The price seems high to me for just the lathe - especially when you can get a new Jet or Delta 12" lathe with actual VS for around the same money.

Good luck!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Blog Entries
    That is a JET 14-42, the the Jets Reeves Drives are Very Reliable and Quiet.

With the legs (they are an Option) 600.00 is about 1/2 price.

I had one of these lathes and it is still in production today. I sold mine for more than 600.00 I think, and the buyer paid to have it shipped to him 1/2 way across the country.
    No extras just what it came with .

A Very Solid lathe. All standard accessories today fit it just fine. 1X8 chucks etc.

Most people who complain about a Reeves drive, owned or turned on a Delta based reeves drive lathe. (I have owned 4 Delta lathes and still have 2 of them)

Delta's reeves drives Sucked. And I am a collector of Vintage Delta woodworking machines, I have 8 or 9 waiting in the wings to be restored, most just need general good cleaning and a fresh paint job to be in service. I already did the legwork of buying any and all parts needed for each.

So I am not knocking Delta, they just made a bad reeves drive IMO.

I have had 7 lathes all at the same time at one point.

It is a bit fast for the slow speed as stated for certain types of turnings. But then again you get used to what you have and Adjust. The speed range is 450-3000 rpm, Not terrible.

You can slide the headstock down so your not leaning over the bed and you could make a nice outboard turning stand if you wanted. The headstock swivels as well.

You can turn ALOT on the 1442 lathe. Is it a VFD VS, no, but it don't have the price of one either.

I sold mine to upgrade to the Powermatic 3520B, LOVE the upgrade, but I did Like the 1442 alot. I could have stayed with the 1442 alot longer and been happy, but the stars and moon aligned just right and I was able to jump on the Powermatic before a price increase a couple years ago.

The Delta Midi does have some Nice modern day features, VFD, Reverse, but also if not on sale is 600.00 Plus 150.00 for the bed extension, then the stand, then the stands extension, adds up and your still on a mini lathe. 12.5" of swing and a lightweight lathe even with the legs and extension. Not sure what Delta's plans are for lathes but they dropped all of their full sized lathes some time ago, this midi is pretty new for them but they were recently sold once again so anything could happen.

Deltas vintage lathes as there other machines were solid workhorses and the art deco castings added beauty as well. For years, Decades even they really dropped the ball on the full sized lathes and just had nothing to offer for a long long time,(they were just plain Ugly lol) the new midi does give Hope that they come out with a killer full sized lathe, but I am doubting it.

I am not a real fan of mini/midi lathes myself, I had a Jet mini.

You can turn tiny things on a larger lathe, but you Can't turn larger turnings on a small lathe.

The cast iron legs are Heavy and the 1442 feels Solid even turning at its max. It was a Good lathe.
    Remember, you are NOT your post count.
    American & Proud
    ~Powermatic 3520B~
    "The GOLDStandard since 1921"
    Graphtec CE5000-60, FlexiSIGN PRO 8.6v2, Refine MH871,
    Photoshop CS5 Extended, Illustrator CS5, CorelDRAW X4, Wacom Intuos3 6x11, Wacom Cintiq, Dual 24" LCD's on MoView Stand, GraphixCALC Pro 2.0.4, QuickBooks 2010, Grain Fraim.

What Scott said regarding reeves drives! I've had a jet 1442 for several years (paid $600 3+ years ago). I've read a lot of bad comments about reeves drives but disagree with many of them. I do my monthly maintence which just consists of blowing out the dust and lubricating the sheeves. Mine runs like the day I bought it and I have not had a bit of troublewith it. Also my Shopsmith is a reeves drive and it has been trouble free for 25 years. I also own a drill press with reeves drive and no troubles there. I think I would have to say that taken care of a good mechanical reeves drive might just prove less troublesome than a electronics based drive. Heck offer him $500 and ask for the chuck. You should find yourself quite happy with the jet1442...Bill..

I have a friend who has that lathe. He bought it used. He asked my assistance when he developed a problem. The problem was a lack of regular maintenance as Bill indicated. We disassembled the Reeves drive unit, cleaned and lubricated it and it worked better than when he bought it.

IMHO.....Reeves drives will require regular maintenance but too many folks have had them and they worked well. The only other negative is the low end speed when spinning up out of balance bowl blanks.....
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Oh, and BTW John,

The 1442 would be a Huge Upgrade from that Ridgid lathe you have.

Or you could just go for the GOLD.
    Remember, you are NOT your post count.
    American & Proud
    ~Powermatic 3520B~
    "The GOLDStandard since 1921"
    Graphtec CE5000-60, FlexiSIGN PRO 8.6v2, Refine MH871,
    Photoshop CS5 Extended, Illustrator CS5, CorelDRAW X4, Wacom Intuos3 6x11, Wacom Cintiq, Dual 24" LCD's on MoView Stand, GraphixCALC Pro 2.0.4, QuickBooks 2010, Grain Fraim.

John,
    The price seems a little high unless there are some more goodies in the deal.

FYI-The new Delta 46-460 12.5" lathe does not have a VFD. It works similar to a router with speed control and has brushes.