Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help With Chipboard...PLEASE!

Edi

If you are using adhesive to paste the sheets together it's a good bet that the adhesive may be the culprit. May you can experiment with some other types of adhesive.

I just ran another piece changing my settings closer to Mike Mckenzies recommendation and got zero browning on the back cover of a spiral notebook.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I should probably mention that this stuff is a lot thicker than notebook backing. It is almost 1/16" thick and even thicker when I add the paper.
    It chars bare or covered.
    I'm just a newbie looking to learn all I can
    Epilog Mini 18-30 Watt Laser

Edi

If you can be specific about the thicknesses and the adhesive I'm sure some of us will experiment using as close to your material as we can.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

You really need nitrogen rather than air assist to cut cardboard to minimise charring
    However if you don't want to use an inert gas, try this : set ppi low , just above discrete perforation and use strong air assist - mask the material with paper based low tack sign vinyl application tape to stop surface marring. The freq/ppi is how many holes the laser drills in a set distance - the laser cuts by drilling lots of holes , closely spaced so they overlap , too little makes cuts like perforations , too much overlap puts a lot of heat into the material leading to charring.
    You might of course just have too little power to cut this stuff cleanly , lasers work by vaporising and not "burning" , too little power density leads to burning. Think of making a hole thru paper with a butane soldering torch or a bic lighter - both will work but the hotter and thinner torch flame will make a clean hole and the bic's hole will be messy.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Mike...The chipboard is about 1/16" thick and I am using a Scotch/3M glue stick to glue the cardstock down and a Xyron sticker maker to add the patterned paper on top.

Rodne...I think I'll try masking next so I can use the air assist. Thanks.
    And maybe you're right...I may just not have enough power to cut nicely at this thickness.

Thanks for all your replies...I'll keep on experimenting!

Blog Entries
    Have you verified your focus?
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Dan...No, I need to get some material first. I haven't had a chance to run to the store...I've been working 10 hr days all week and this weekend.
    I'll get some anodized aluminum and check it out. Thank you for the how-to...I would not have known how to do that.