Thread: Freud Chisels & Turning Tools

Freud Chisels & Turning Tools

Freud used to make bench chisels & turning tools from chrome-vanadium steel. Seems like Freud discontinued chisels, gouges, etc., about 5-6 years ago.

I'm looking at a boxed set of 8 turning tools, TT-108. Can't find any for sale . The few reviews I can find are very mixed and prices are all over the place.

Anybody know what happen? Why they disappeared?

thanks,
    robert

I own a boxed set of 4 of the chisels you mention. I bought them 17 years ago when I was new to the woodworking scene and there really wasn't much to choose from. I now have a set of Lie-Nielsen chisels too. I find the Freuds actually hold an edge very well. Though I fully enjoy the LNs, I still reach for the Freuds when I'm doing a "coarser" operation. The Freuds might not fare well with considerably more to choose from these days, but they have served me well over the years.

The woodturners forum might be able to help. They probably disappeared for the reason that everything else had disappeared. It doesn't make sense to make furniture when someone can buy an imported solid wood table and chairs with carved legs for less than the lumber alone would cost here...less woodworking, less tools...I suppose.

Thanks, John, you're right. I need to learn how to cross-post in this forum.

But Freud still makes lots of router bits and saw blades.

Oh, I do it too. I like the people in the neanderthal forum and I like their advice. I ask this particular forum all kinds of things. There is a post here asking about glue for plexiglass...it's not neander related per se, but the advice on this side is first class. Sometimes the non-strictly neander stuff gets moved, sometimes it doesn't.

they are not great chisels..probably can buy another brand just like them more cheaply..If I may be so bold, as to suggest, you buy better chisels, and stop looking for these. A super good chisel, will last a lifetime. Worth the $$$