Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: A bit of organization!

Blog Entries
    Nice job John.

Looks like a couple of getting organized threads are popping up .

I am Finally on a bit of a Quest myself with getting at the very least, Semi Organized myself and started with my lathe tools and the Rocket Launcher II I recently made for them.

Yesterday I sold my PerformaX 16-32 Drum Sander and am deciding what to sell off next to make some much NEEDED room to work. Had to make a choice, turning or flat work, turning is winning. I just don't have the room to do both even tho I would like too.

I have no interest in segmented turning so the drum sander was the first to go.

I Wish I had it in me to just be more organized naturally. Or Rich so I had a shop to hold it all with room to breath. lol
    Remember, you are NOT your post count.
    American & Proud
    ~Powermatic 3520B~
    "The GOLDStandard since 1921"
    Graphtec CE5000-60, FlexiSIGN PRO 8.6v2, Refine MH871,
    Photoshop CS5 Extended, Illustrator CS5, CorelDRAW X4, Wacom Intuos3 6x11, Wacom Cintiq, Dual 24" LCD's on MoView Stand, GraphixCALC Pro 2.0.4, QuickBooks 2010, Grain Fraim.

John, It sure looks nice to me! But I have about 150 pounds of sand paper in different cofigurations from huge rolls to 500 sheet packs and 2 24"x20"x6" full of discs and so many different things I am not evern sure what I have!! I have friends who work/worked for 3-M and I got tons of it for pennies on the dollar and I can get more when they have big sales of outdated or excess pallets of product. One of my best buddies before he retired from 3-M bought pretty close to a pickup load so I can go dig through his shelfs when I get desperate! It is not always what you know, but who you know!

Good to be clean and organized, hope I can get there some day!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

What the heck is OCD???

Is there a vaccine to prevent it?

I want to know so I can avoid it.
    Chuck Jones

Chuck, apparently OCD is spread through the installation of dust collection systems. Seems that those folks that install a DC system are prone to OCD?!?!? Perhaps it somehow lowers immunity??

5. Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Jones View Post
    Is there a vaccine to prevent it?

I want to know so I can avoid it.
    OCD stands for "Obsessive Compulsive Disorder" - People with this condition get freaked out if everything is not a certain way they like it to be........it unnerves them and they have to try to put things back in order as they see what that order should be, sometimes to the point they cannot function with anything being what they consider "out of place."

A good read on this condition can be seen in the character that Jack Nicholson played in the movie "As Good As It Gets."
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 03-04-2011 at 10:51 AM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I can make stuff or i can have a clean shop. I'd rather make stuff.

We moved a couple months ago and I'm still trying to find my tools, build cabinets and install outlets.

The lathe is manually powered at the moment. Yep, I actually turned some spindles turning the lathe over with one hand while holding my skew with the other last night.
    Trying to assemble a table for the kitchen. Maybe in another week or two I can get the subpanel and some outlets installed.

Did I mention I work full time? My shop sits on the back burner most of the time.

John, Where is the operating table?????? Looks great and I thought I was organized.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Davis NC View Post
    I can make stuff or i can have a clean shop. I'd rather make stuff.
    Mike, hope you are able to recover from the move and get your shop functional!

I actually find that a clean shop enhances my productivity substantially. I can immediately access anything I need, all tools are in "their home", and I don't have to dig thru a mess to find something.

9. Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Mike, hope you are able to recover from the move and get your shop functional!

I actually find that a clean shop enhances my productivity substantially. I can immediately access anything I need, all tools are in "their home", and I don't have to dig thru a mess to find something.
    DITTO on this!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

There must be some sort of genetic predisposition, as DC didn't seem to help me in the clean department.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

A dust collector came with my recent shop overhaul/remodel, and I must admit it has made me a neater turner. Before the collector, there was a certain "What's the point?" attitude, but since I've started using it, cleanliness seems possible.