Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A bit of organization!

A bit of organization!

I am usually pretty OCD with my shop - cleaning up after each turning session, putting all tools away - the typical Type A personality that lives a very structured, albeit short, life!

But, recently, my sandpaper situation was getting too crowded. I had a couple of 6 bin units, but decided to get two more and rearranged them. I was able to find two more to match the ones I had, and they actually connect together and screw to the wall.

I now have all my small sheet goods in labeled bins, all my Vince's stuff in labeled bins, including the new 1" stuff I got with an extender to sand the bottoms of hollow forms, etc., and a couple of emptys for whatever comes along. The labels don't show well in the pics.

Just thought I would share a pic or two - nothing else much to show for today's effort. Just waiting for finish to cure on the next turning.
    Attached Images Attached Images

nice! I am an OCD wannabe ... I have every good intention of cleaning up every day, but sometimes .... umm most times ... that doesnt happen. I like the storage unit, I have a place for my gouges and small tools, but the sandpaper mess really bugs me.

3. I have re-arranged my shop 2 dozen times over the last 5 years, and each time it gets better.............but I don't have my sanding supplies organized like you do............I'm almost jealous!

That is a nice way to do it.........makes me wonder if I can rearrange again and find a little wall space.............

thanks for showing us your OCD side, John! You are not alone!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Wow! what a concept-sandpaper supply that is organized!!
    Thanks for pictures. This has to be high on my priorty list!!

Any chance you used a level when you mounted that stuff to the wall?

I'm type A at work, so the shop organization suffers usually. I would like to get some bins for my discs since I've just been keeping them in the bags... Where'd you get them and how many discs will each bin hold?

David, rest assured, a level was used!!! Can't have the sandpaper out of level. Every time I looked at it, I would want to straighten it!!!

The first two bins were acquired a while back, but the black ones came from Tiger Direct at this link. Other than color, they are identical to the others with sliding dovetail connectors at the top corners. Each bin will hold about 25-30 - 2 3/8" blue discs.

Quote Originally Posted by David E Keller View Post
    I would like to get some bins for my discs since I've just been keeping them in the bags... Where'd you get them and how many discs will each bin hold?
    Me too. I vacuum everything, including the bandsaw, when I'm done for the day, but my sandpaper organization leaves something to be desired. Help us out with our OCD tendencies!

Cathy, I turn on the DC unit, and open 2-3 blast gates and blow everything off with the air hose. Then, I sweep the floor to the floor sweep on my DC system. Gotta have a clean shop!!!

Nice organization there John, I clean up every time I am done turning, my problem is I have WAY to much stuff in a very small area. I cant help but have stuff on top of other stuff! You should see my table saw...I mean my storage shelf....

Nice looking organizers John. I avoid organizing for extended periods, then when I get depressed and tired of the chaos, I spend time making things better. Like Roger said, it gets more organized each time I tackle it. I was able to acquire several bins from a shuttering auto parts store. It was the bins that stored a brass fittings assortment, and they take the sandpaper supplies very well. I also use the bins to store other odds and ends. Unfortunately they aren't clear, so I can't see the contents.

Sheesh....I am associating with neat freaks!!!

Yep I will attest to a clean shop. Makes mine look pretty shabby. Nice organization there John.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

John
    I'm close to you on this one ,my shop stay's cleaned after every job.My sanding disc have been in those tilt-a-bins for years and they do work better then anything else did. They also keep the disc from picking up foreign particles.
    Harry

Lookin sharp, meester K. A place for everything and everything in its place.

Your place does look remarkably clean - you must not have to use that sanding stuff much ;-) Near my lathe, the 60 grit gouge "shavings" seem to be embedded in the surroundings!

Quote Originally Posted by Wally Dickerman View Post
    Sheesh....I am associating with neat freaks!!!
    Yeah, pretty disgusting isn't it!?
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll