Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is a shop vac repairable?

You can also try ereplacementparts.com. I've ordered parts from the several times over the years and they have exploded diagrams of most tools also.

Chip, thanks for the carbon brushes link. Unfortunately, I still don't know what ones might work. They may have what I need but no part numbers match and my measuring might not be exact enough. Plus I have no idea what length I should have. My brushes have a 236S number on them, and are about 1/4 x 3/8, or maybe .245 x .370. The spring has no clip or anything on the end, it is held in by tabs mounted on the end of the housing. I'm not inclined to spend $10 or $20 to chance getting what I need and then it not work anyway. How does one determine if brushes are in fact worn out? Mine are still at least 1/2" long so they are not ground down to the bottom. if I knew I was getting the correct ones I would try brushes, but I'm not sure. Is close "close enough"?

Shane, that site doesn't list my model number. Probably only current models. Looks useful for future reference though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    The noise is definitely coming from the commutator/brushes or the armature. I only know basics about electric motors and cannot tell what exactly is the problem.
    Remove the brushes. Now, turn on the vacuum. If the vacuum no longer makes the noise, then you need new brushes.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    Remove the brushes. Now, turn on the vacuum. If the vacuum no longer makes the noise, then you need new brushes.
    You funny man!

Stopped by a local motor repair place today with one of my brushes, explained what I had and the issue I had. He said that Shop Vac makes their own motors, and brushes were not available (thru them at least), and that he didn't think the brushes were the problem anyway by the looks of the one I had with me. He said it was likely a problem with the armature or commutator. I hadn't taken the assembly along, only one brush.
    Long story short, I had already purchased a Rigid 1450 yesterday thinking I likely might not be able to fix mine, and as it turns out I won't be fixxing it. So, I will take the advice of saving the hose, etc. and gaining a new rolling trash can! Actually it will likely be a rolling some-other-type-of-storage can, unless anyone has some better recommendation for it's use.
    Thanks for all your input.

btw, the new Rigid is MUCH quieter than the old Shop Vac. Will have to wait for any other comparisons.

Replacing Bushing With Bearing Worked!

I found this site/thread while searching for repairs to a screeching ShopVac. I read all comments & several YouTube videos later, I was able to repair mine for less than $4! The guy in video shows a worn out bushing. The part it fits in is made to house a bearing which lasts much longer. I ordered a 608 2rs bearing, followed his instructions & my vac is working again. I have pics but dont see option here. Her is the link to the video. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...DFqmo5YN_OeTD6

I picked up a shop vac off the curb a few weeks back and fired it up and it made a horrid noise, so I did what most suggested and tore into it.

In my case the shop vac impeller had fatigued and was barely attached. I happened to have a spare shop vac head that was missing a can so I swapped in that impeller, it was about the same size and had no clearance issues. Now it works fine.

You might be able to tell if this is going on by listening for a crunching noise if you push on the impeller off center.

Or go the trash can route, they are great for that.

Note that vacs are very high rpm so the bearings need to be at least that rpm or more. I would guess 15,000 RPM or more. Many bearings are rated for 5,000 rpm or less.
    Bill D.

I wouldn’t repair an old shop vacuum, I do however like the suggestion of converting it to a rolling trash can, that was very creative.

Most shop vcuum’s are noisy and have poor filtration, failure of one is an opportunity to buy a new better one, preferably HEPA rated.

Your lungs will thank you......Regards, Rod

Blog Entries
    Why can't they put decent sealed bearings in shop vacs? Or at least make the bronze bearings in most of them easily to lube. I was able to find a new motor for an old bearing-noisy ShopVac years ago. Three years later it was back to it's old ways. I have a wall mounted garage ShopVac that sees little use, but the bearings are gone it it too, but I just put up with it. Current vac is a bigger Craftsman which seems to be holding together fine so far. Probably five years old. I would never buy another ShopVac brand vacuum. Ridgid would be my current choice if my Craftsman ever fails. I believe the issue is that the motors spin at very high rpm's (think max router speed or higher) and as once the bearings wear a bit, it allows the rotor to go slightly off balance, wobbling in the bearings, which just starts trashing what is left of the bearings. Difficult to balance a fan turning that fast.
    NOW you tell me...