Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First bench in the new shop

First bench in the new shop

Here's the first bench. It's gonna hold the RAS and the CMS. Hopefully I'll get it completed tomorrow. I gotta get started on my son's raised panel doors for his kitchen.
    More to come tomorrow.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Darn fine start to a really heavy duty bench. Ya gonna put doors or drawers in that thing? What is the top gonna be?
    The pic is of my bench for my CMS not a slider but that's in the future. I buried the dust collection piping in the back of the bench as I don't have the room overhead.
    Jim
    Last edited by Jim Dunn; 01-21-2005 at 10:34 PM.

thanks jim. mostly drawers with a couple of doors. I'm gonna use MDF for the top. I haven't used it before. thought i'd give it a try. I didn't realize how heavy that stuff is.

MDF is heavy but the stuff is also dusty with a capital D! Since it's tiny particles glued up the dust amount is huge. Drill and counter-sink both sides of the material as you screw it together. Can't post a drawing here as I don't have the necessary skills but, what you need to realise is that the MDF will swell where the screw enters the next sheet of MDF. I even took the time to open up clearance holes as I screwed two pieces together. (Not my idea I had seen it in a Shop Notes article.)

Again USE A DUST MASK!!!! Also routing magnify's the amount of dust in the air. Good luck.

Looking good Bob. I am very interested in your bench as I will be building one myself as soon as the weather permits, as I have a RAS & CMS. [Shop/garage is too hard to heat when temp stays below 20*.]
    What are the dimensions of your bench? H x L x D?
    I like the framework so far. Looks like it will be sturdy. Not sure I'd go MDF except for the cutting area of the RAS. I was thinking of hardboard [peg board material without the holes] for the rest of the bench. That's my thoughts anyway. Would like to hear your thoughts as to using MDF. Whatever is used I think it should be replaceable fairly easily.
    Waiting to see the finished pics.
    Last edited by Karl Laustrup; 01-22-2005 at 6:07 AM.
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

Bob,

I don't mean to hijack your thread but I have something that may answer karl's question and get you thinking on you bench.

The material that Karl is describing is Tempered Hardboard. Found some at the local HD but it was in the panelling section of the store. I too am using MDF for the top but I am installing tempered hardboard over it to protect the MDF as it doesn't like water and soaks up everything else like a sponge. Also I'm using 3 3/4" sheets of MDF then a sheet of 3/16 tempered board for the top but that gives me enough for edge trimming.

This post gives you an over all pic of the design of the mitre station I'm building. I don't have, nor do I intend to purchase a RAS so this bench isn't intended to accommodate one. Hope this helps.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=14511

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Dunn; 01-22-2005 at 10:42 AM.

Thanks for the info Jim. Just couldn't think of "tempered hardboard" when I was doing that post. Damn CRS. I agree totally about the MDF absorbing any liquid that finds its way onto the surface, thus I don't think it would make a good work surface without some type of sealer.

Jim, did you allow an easy means for the hardboard to be replaced at a later date? I have to take this into consideration as I know I will be using both sides of the bench for all kinds of things beyond just a spot for boards to rest while I cut them.

As you might have noticed I haven't completed my top yet. The hold up is the maple inserts I'm in the process of finishing. But I'll probably use brass screws to hold it down#4 or #6 countersunk smoothe to the surface naturally. This is as much for the visual appeal as anything. You could use any thing, but screws seem to me to be the best.
    By the way, I'll finish it with tung oil as I'm more interested with the maple finish as the finish on the hardboard.

Jim.
    Last edited by Jim Dunn; 01-22-2005 at 11:03 AM.

Bob great start Like your joinery Anxious to see the finished project...
    Jerry

Thumbs up

Bob, very nice start. Looks substantial. I agree with the previous posts about MDF. COVER it! Looking forward to more pics as it progresses.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Saturday's bench progress

Thanks to all for your thoughts on this. I'm convinced to get the MDF covered. I bought the material from Lowe's and they didn't have the hardboard in the store. I'll get over to HD and pick some up.

I got a little creative with the RAS mounting. To get some horizontal adjustment I added 1/2" bolts on the four corners. I took some pics of this and will include. My last shop I had it built in as well but I screwed it to the frame work. I never could get it adjusted right, Hopefully this will correct that.

I will continue again tomorrow. Maybe I'll get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Laustrup
    Looking good Bob. I am very interested in your bench as I will be building one myself as soon as the weather permits, as I have a RAS & CMS. [Shop/garage is too hard to heat when temp stays below 20*.]
    What are the dimensions of your bench? H x L x D?
    Karl...The main bench that you see is a little under 12', the height is 35" and the top depth is 30", It accomodates the RAS travel needs and happens to be the width of the stairs. About the stairs...I made the 2 stringers up above the bench top removable for longer cuts. The RAS is dead center of that wall and can cut 12' on either side of the blade.

Thanks, Bob for the dimensions. Those are pretty much the dimensions I had planned. Thanks for the heads up on the leveling idea for the RAS. I'll borrow that if you don't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Laustrup
    Thanks, Bob for the dimensions. Those are pretty much the dimensions I had planned. Thanks for the heads up on the leveling idea for the RAS. I'll borrow that if you don't mind.
    np...have at it

Looking good. Lots of storage space too!!!