Thread: Delta 46-715 Lathe

Delta 46-715 Lathe

I stumbled on this site recently and have been enjoying myself immensely trying to get to know all the posters. A lot of skilled woodworkers with some good information. Thanks for having me. That being said...

I have an opportunity to buy this lathe for around $500 (it is brand new). What can you guys tell me about the lathe? I have heard some concerns about it, relating to the tailstock and the bearings. Anyone have any comments? This would be a significant upgrade from my old Craftsman...

Thanks...
    Don

Yes it would be quite an upgrade from your Craftsman. The price of a lathe isn't trivial. $500 is a LOT of money. But the lathe is a tool than can pay for itself fairly quickly.

That being said, I would rather earn the money for the lathe before I bought it. In that way everything is "profit" for the next purchase, whatever that might be (bandsaw, dust collector, carving station, is there no end?)

On the other hand you should be able to sell that lathe in a year for most of that $500. So why not give the lathe a good home as you move up.

That Delta lathe has some short comings, but so do all the lathes in that class. And that Delta lathe will let you blosum more as a woodturner.

There are several woodturners on this forum who own and like that lathe. You should have good company and help should you need it.

Good Luck
    The Large print givith
    and the fine print takith away

Richard,

Thanks for your comments. Can you help me understand what the drawbacks are of this lathe? I know that it doesn't have computerized variable speed, etc., but for $500 seems to be a pretty good deal.

By the way, before moving to Green Bay, I lived in Ashburn. Had an office in Falls Church at the American Red Cross...

Thanks again...

Don

I own a 46-715 and I really like it.
    Lets see draw backs--it's only got a 3/4 horse motor.
    On a bigger items you are going to have to take your time.
    I have had mine for over two years now and am still very happy with it---of course if I had the money I would buy a 2436 Oneway.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---