Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walnut end table, Donated to fundraising auction

Walnut end table, Donated to fundraising auction

I built this little table on a whim and then donated it to a worthy cause. It brought $800 at the auction. I was hoping it would bring more but I'm OK with it.

Bret

That's a great looking table. I love the contrasting spline miters, and the top inlay is just fantastic.
    Wondering how you shaped the curved sides of the walnut main body, two passes on a shaper?
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Bret, great job on that table. Thanks to you, whatever the cause was is now $800.00 richer. If you get some spare time, could you give an overview of the inlay process. Thanks

Beautiful job on the table Bret. That inlay on the top is first class.

The curved sides were formed by first making a coopered tube or cylinder, about 8"d x 24"l 16 segments, and then turning it on the lathe, then ripped into quarters.

Top has a substrate of 1/2" Baltic Birch rabbeted to fit into a slot in the outer frame leaving the subtop down about 3/16". The inlay is simply filling in the recess with pieces of wood in whatever design you choose.

There is a drawer that didn't show in the first photo.

Bret
    Attached Images Attached Images

wonderful table design and workmanship. Welcome.

Blog Entries
    Hey Bret, $800 is a steal for this piece... Its worth a whole lot more, but nonetheless, that's a great contribution and admirable donation. Great to see you on SMC! I look forward to your next work.

Ben
    My blog: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/blog.php?70802-Ben-Arnott

Great craftsmanship and kudos to you for donating it to a cause

Thanks for the extra pic of the drawer Bret. That hand cut curved dovetail adds that final touch. Well done..

That is a stunning piece of work. I can't even begin to imagine how much work you invested in that piece but for $800 it was a real bargain. The finish is nice, the details (splines, wood choice, inlay, dovetails, curved sides and drawer front). My wife took one look and she loved it - I had to let her down by telling her there is no way I could replicate it. Congratulations.

Brett I'd have to say someone got a real bargain! That is a stunning piece, the contrasting wood and splines look great.

Do you have any photos of the process to create the sides? I understand the basic concept but am curious on how you
    cut the cylinder.

Again, that is a great piece.

There are bargains to be had a t auctions.....sometimes

I put a retail value of about $1200 on the little table. At auction things are only worth what they sell for. As was pointed out previously, $1800 is now going to a good cause.

The photo shows a coopered cylinder similar to the one I used for the little table, after I'd turned the outside smooth on the lathe. Then I just lay it on the tablesaw and clamp a straight board to the side of the tube at 90* from the table to have something to run against the saw fence when ripping. Or, if it's short enough, I just rip them using the sliding sled.

Bret
    Attached Images Attached Images

Love those dovetails !
    MARK

A lot of skill and labor went into this one, and it truly shows. Between the contrasting wood and the beautiful joinery, it's a really lovely piece.

Astounding piece, whether it was 800 or 1800...The work is first rate, and the table, very unique in design. it's a beauty.