Thread: '73 Unisaw Resto-Mod

'73 Unisaw Resto-Mod

My introductory to woodworking was in the mid eighties in wood shop in junior high school. The shop teacher still is one of the coolest (to me) guys I've ever met. He taught me so many great tricks and ways to do things. I have had a small home wood working area a few times in the past twenty years. Being in the military always made them temporary, resulting in my selling off my tools a few times. I have a pretty nice size shop now - 33' x 24' pole building. I mostly play with cars and am a part time custom auto trimmer (upholsterer to most). It didn't take long and I have a 14" bandsaw, a Delta contractor's saw with a Biesemeyer fence, and some other woodworking basics to aid in my upholstery projects.

I have been working on getting my shop organized, put away and a good work space for the past few months. I bought a miter saw to make some shelves and such. It helped a lot. I had been forgetting how much I have enjoyed my shop projects in wood. A couple of weeks ago I realized it was time to make some cabinets, drawers and other things to get the shop where I want it.

That resulted in me buying a Unisaw. Something I have wanted for 25 years. I did not need the Unisaw. I could have made tables or extended the fence on the contractor's saw. I found a decent deal on a single phase 3HP unisaw in good condition with a 52" Biesemeyer fence and went for it. I drove 300 miles round trip and spent $700 on a '73 vintage machine in very useable condition. We took the table extensions and fence off of the saw to make loading and transporting easier. I started reading all I could find when I got it home and unloaded.

My saw is new enough that it fits in Delta's 50-273 mobile base. I found one locally with the side extension.

The saw powered up and ran ok. It vibrated more than I thought it should. The belts were aligned. They were also visibly not the same length and automotive belts from Napa. More reading led me to decide to install a Delta belt set. I was picking up a tool at the local service center and found they had the belt set for $32, in stock.

The belts had been cut off the same mandrel, in sequence:

I installed the belts and the saw runs with nearly zero noticeable vibration. The previous owner had replaced the arbor bearings. The paint has some surface rust, but no appreciable rust in the machine to speak of. Everything is there - handles, lock knobs, electrics, fence, miter gauge, etc. It also included some Sandvik blades, two dado sets and some other accessories. The fence did not have an extension table.

I couldn't bring myself to put the ugly, paint chipped fence on the saw. So, I started what I'll call a resto-mod on the saw. I stripped the paint from the fence angle and rectangular tube with aircraft paint stripper. I removed the busted up laminate and T-molding from the fence head. Delta sells a kit for about $80 that includes new fence sides and laminate. For that price, I think I'll sort out the laminate myself. I have the heat going in the shop and hope to spray the primer on the fence components. The plan is to get the fence painted and then assemble the saw and use it for a short period. Once I'm sure I'm happy with the way things are situated, I'll disassemble the saw and refinish it in black.

I welcome any input, comments or advice.

Thumbs up Looks great

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Wayne View Post

Once I'm sure I'm happy with the way things are situated, I'll disassemble the saw and refinish it in black.

I welcome any input, comments or advice.
    Instead of repainting, I'd consider just using it. It looks fine, and has a nice "patina".

You also may want to check the alignment of blade to slot, and then fence to slot. It's not too hard to do, and could eliminate a lot of head scratching.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cherry View Post
    Instead of repainting, I'd consider just using it. It looks fine, and has a nice "patina".

You also may want to check the alignment of blade to slot, and then fence to slot. It's not too hard to do, and could eliminate a lot of head scratching.
    I'm already leaning in the "just use it" direction. I've checked alignment and the table is spot on, the fence is needing one of the UHMW pads before I can align it. On my way to pick that up now!

Congratulations! I've been kind of looking for the same and if I had found that close to home I would have gotten it at that price.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Black with ghost flames.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Congratulations on your Uni!

I too had been lusting after a Uni for even more than 25 years. Not sure why, maybe it was my HS shop class.
    In any case, just last year I 'consummated' my lust with a brand new Uni.
    Now, I understand

Enjoy your dream! (I am!)

Greg A

PS +1 on black with ghost flames!
    Some people seem brighter after being set on fire

Hmmm... Looks a lot like my saw. Oh, wait, that's right, mine's a '73 Unisaw as well! I bought it in '95 and put new belts, arbor bearings and a new Biesemeyer-style fence on it in '96. Passes the nickel test. Only difference is mine has a Low Voltage Control (LVC). Must have originally been for a school or some such. I kept the Delta gray color.

It took a while, but I painted the Biesemeyer fence components. I made an extension table and covered it and the fence sides with black formica. The saw is coming together and working well. I made a dust port for the rear of the saw. I have to make a cover for the motor. I want to figure out a topside dust port as well.

Looking good. I used an overhead collector on top... I'll post a pic later
    Robust American Beauty lathe, 25” swing, electronic variable speed 80-3000 RPM
    Colt SML-350 14” midi-lathe, electronic variable speed 80-3700 RPM

'73 52" Rockwell-Delta Unisaw, 14" Variable speed Jet bandsaw, 6" Jet Jointer, 20" Dewalt scrollsaw, 15" Craftsman drill press

Tinkerer and woodturner
    1,475 mi SSW of Steve Schlumpf

G12 531.jpgHere's a pic of my dust collection
    Robust American Beauty lathe, 25” swing, electronic variable speed 80-3000 RPM
    Colt SML-350 14” midi-lathe, electronic variable speed 80-3700 RPM

'73 52" Rockwell-Delta Unisaw, 14" Variable speed Jet bandsaw, 6" Jet Jointer, 20" Dewalt scrollsaw, 15" Craftsman drill press

Tinkerer and woodturner
    1,475 mi SSW of Steve Schlumpf

Great start Steven, the details on the belts was new to me. I want to point out a reference that you may well already be familiar with, Old Woodworking Machines forums and reference material OWWM.com and OWWM.org. Many of the members have rebuilt unisaws even though most of them are newer than the typical vintage tools discussed. I noticed a reference in a thread on how to dissassemble a unisaw article in case you ever have to get deeper into yours. There were several other articles and references. If you start out by going to the site you can hit the logo to get a menu list, the article is in the Wiki section. I went to the reprints or document section and hit a Wiki link from there. Hard to describe but easy to find on the site just knocking around. The forum would be the ultimate place to go for a technical question about your machine.
    Regards,
    Larry R
    Seattle

Larry is correct about OWWM. The unisaw is the most loved machine over there. Must be a zillion of them restored and otherwise. Dave

I have made a lot of organization, layout and general improvements to the woodworking portion of my shop. My Unisaw is now the way I want it for the most part. I added a Bench Dog router table extension wing, Shark Guard, Forrest Woodworker II blade, got the dust collection going really well (the Shark Guard had a lot to do with this) and made a few zero clearance inserts. I am really happy with the saw. For the most part, I have no detectable dust getting away from the collector. Having the router in the cast iron is a really nice way to go. Very happy with it as well.

Photos..

Attached Images Attached Images