Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Maple vs. Rosewood fretboards - effects on string decay?

What do you mean "kill" your strings? I never replace my strings unless one breaks or gets overly rusty and then I'll replace the whole set. I just keep the them wiped off and very lightly lightly oiled with GHS fast fret.

Mike, that is possible, but as they go I actually notice more on the low end than high.

Erik, I have tried Elixir strings. Love them for acoustic, not a huge fan for electrics.

Bryan, when I say they kill my strings, I mean the life and tone fades. I dont let them ever get to the point of rust, and I do clean them after every use.

Lots of good ideas here but I would pose this question. Do the two guitars sound the same when they both have new strings on them? My guess would be no. The character of each guitar probably has more to do with this than the strings. So, as the strings age...perhaps more evenly than you realize...the character of each instrument remains different, as they were from the start. They continue to display their own character even when the strings are noticably older, giving the illusion that they are dulling at a different rate.

Just another theory.

Peace,
    Mark
    "Thought that is no longer limited brings experience that is no longer limited" Marianne Williamson.