Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arthritic knees, comfortable shoes, flooring

Arthritic knees, comfortable shoes, flooring

I have been holding off on this post for about a month, trying to come up with a solution for my arthritic knee problem. My shop is in the basement, on a concrete floor. I have one 3X5 mat that I move around if I remember. I wear an old pair of New Balance with my orthodics. I have been pretty bad the last week so I have not been in my shop. From all the experience out there, has anyone with similar problems, come up with a solution. I am thinking a very comfortable pair of shoes, along with some kind of special flooring would be help. Thanks in advance for any input.

I'd have additional floor cushioning, and place it wherever you tend to stand.

I'd make sure you are getting enough vitamin D. One of my M.D. friends suggested I start taking a daily vitamin D supplement a few months ago when I started developing knee problems. He said there was research that indicating it slowed the progression of arthritis (you can google it). There are also a host of other benefits from getting enough vitamin D. And most people don't.

Also, change your shoe type from time to time. While I normally wear NB shoes with a Dr. Scholl's insert, I have found that wearing a cushy slide (like Crocs) changes the geometry of my leg enough that it seems to reduce strain. So I go back and forth between shoes/slides.

Finally, have a comfy stool you can sit on when doing layout or just thinking about the next step.

I have a bad knee and I also wear orthotics. I actually wear Crocks in the shop. They are ugly... but they work!

Have you tried Glucosamine? I've bad knees for years and it seems to help. Won't make things all better again, but after taking it for some time, I've noticed I can stand/walk for longer periods of time before things become intolerable. I won't recommend brands or dosages, but I can tell you what I do. I'm using Osteo-BiFlex triple strength (the twice a day version) but I only take 1 pill per day. Again, seems to help me, YMMV. Also, if you visit the osteobiflex web site, you can get a $3 coupon and read up on some of the research. Good luck!

psh

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Hanson View Post
    Have you tried Glucosamine? I've bad knees for years and it seems to help. Won't make things all better again, but after taking it for some time, I've noticed I can stand/walk for longer periods of time before things become intolerable. I won't recommend brands or dosages, but I can tell you what I do. I'm using Osteo-BiFlex triple strength (the twice a day version) but I only take 1 pill per day. Again, seems to help me, YMMV. Also, if you visit the osteobiflex web site, you can get a $3 coupon and read up on some of the research. Good luck!

psh
    I assumed he was going this but shouldn't have. I agree with this advice.

I also take hyaluronic acid. I have my doubts that it helps because I've read that in oral form, you body can't do much with it. I've read other people say it works great. All I know is the glucosamine, the HA, and the vitamin D combination have been helping, and I'm unwilling to alter a working combination until I've made more progress.

+1 for Crocs (as long as the job at hand doesn't need a little toe protection).

I make my own insoles out of EVA foam. Crocs are made from EVA foam but I don't like the fit or the holes full of chips.
    You can vary the thickness and get real cushy like floor-mats everywhere. 1/2" thick and it's better for standing than walking.
    I buy athletic shoes one size bigger than normal and add 1/4" thick EVA inside.

I too have a basement shop with concrete floors.

I only have one bad knee and a bad lower back, so I too wear comfortable sneakers and switch them up from time to time.

One thing I found was to use the mats sold by Harbor Freight as walking paths and for standing at machines.
    Also use a comfy stool or seat when you can while working at a bench for a while.

The mats were on sale about a month ago for super cheap, and I noticed a significat difference after only two days.
    I bought two boxes at the sale which I think had (4) 24"x24" mats packaged together for around $5 ea package.

Matts everywhere I tend to be standing, like at the saw or in front of a bench. Also remember that old shoes may seem comfortable, but the cushion part usually has lost its cushion properties.

I got a prescription for Motrin 800mg and it works pretty good.
    My floor mats are 1/2" thick 2'x2' interlocking from a weight room.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

The rather extreme approach is to float yourself a plywood floor.

It's certainly a pretty big investment in time and hassle, but ... can make a HUGE difference in comfort.

And ... $$ ... if you happen to drop an expensive hand plane or two, on the concrete, every couple of years

I bought these shoes last week and I love them http://www.famousfootwear.com/Shoppi...339&pg=1021459
    I am over weight, have arthritis in my back and problem with discs in my back. These shoes seem to help. I have only had them a bit less than a week, but tonight I am going to buy another pair while they are on sale. We bought two pair for my wife at Costco. ( they only had women's sizes) and she loves them too.

Disclaimer: This is my experience, yours may be different. I have no connection with either store other than I am a customer.
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

crocs

For years, I suffered terrible foot pain after working on concrete floors. A little knee pain too. I used good work boots, athletic shoes and it only helped a bit. Now I swear by these crocs. This model has NO holes so chips can fall in. I wear med weight wool socks in the winter and white socks in the summer. It is like a slice of heaven!

$29.99

Crocs.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I don't have knee problems but my feet were hurting after a few hours in the shop. A few weeks back Rockler had their interlocking mats on sale and I ordered some. They make a big difference on y feet. Don't know if they would help the knee.

A dentists stool. The kind the dentist works in, not the patient. Its amazing how much can be done in a good chair/stool. I do most of my sanding in the stool, layout, whatever works out. It has five wheels, so I can scoot from bench to bench faster than I can walk. And its fun.....

I'm tossing around the idea of a wood floor, but my tools are heavy, and will only get heavier. Need to think about that a bit.

I wear Red Wing Irish Setters with gel insoles, but if something better comes alon, besides Crocs, I'll try it. 63 broken bones and three knee surgurys, so I feel your pain.