Thread: Handles for my Thompson Bowl Gouges

Handles for my Thompson Bowl Gouges

Got a couple handles turned for my new Thompson Bowl Gouges . Did the 1/2" last night and the 3/8" tonight. Both are out of Pecan, 16" with a heavy coat of DO. Found quite a bit of figure in the Pecan once it was roughed down, but I may have to do another for the 1/2" because of the bark inclusion near the bottom (although I generally grip above that area, so it may be ok). Don't know how it got there, the log I cut the blanks from was probably about 30"+ in diameter and clear as far as I could tell. Still have some chunks from that same log section (along with another 15 or so more log sections ), so hopefully I'll find some more figure for some HFs.
    2-21-11 005b.jpg 2-21-11 003b.jpg

Oh, and of course proof of my new Jamieson captured system
    2-18-11 025s.jpg
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Nice handles Kathy! I have the Jamieson Captured system. I think you will like it.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Nice looking handles Kathy.

You did Good buying the Jamieson.
    Remember, you are NOT your post count.
    American & Proud
    ~Powermatic 3520B~
    "The GOLDStandard since 1921"
    Graphtec CE5000-60, FlexiSIGN PRO 8.6v2, Refine MH871,
    Photoshop CS5 Extended, Illustrator CS5, CorelDRAW X4, Wacom Intuos3 6x11, Wacom Cintiq, Dual 24" LCD's on MoView Stand, GraphixCALC Pro 2.0.4, QuickBooks 2010, Grain Fraim.

Nice looking gouges, and fine looking handles, too! Now you need to sweep back the grind on that 1/2" V gouge.

Another congrats on the hollowing rig! Time to dig into a piece of that pecan and see what you find.

Very Nice!! That is some gorgeous Pecan you got there. Perfect look for handles. I like the form on them too. And the nice added touch of name, date, and gouge type. Very nice!!

Handles look great! I like the pecan you used....
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

Kathy nice handles and a neat hollowing system. Been thinking about one my self. I like your tool storage, I might do that except I don't know what to do with the cat that stays in the shop.
    Fred

Nice handles Kathy. I have a spindle gouge from Doug and need to do the same.

Marc Himes

I used my new gouges tonight, and I'm definitely a convert to Doug's tools!
    I finished up a pecan bowl that I had roughed out about 10 days ago, then soaked in DNA for about 5 days, then left in some shavings.
    The shear scraping results were much better than I've gotten with my Sorby bowl gouge. I started on the inside with the 1/2" and it worked great for removing the bulk, but I was getting ridges when I was getting close to my final cuts (I need a little more practice with it, I think I may have been a little heavy riding the bevel) so I switched to the 3/8" and got very nice finish cuts.
    Gonna have to start saving up for a couple of U bowl gouges!
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Nice handles and stealth gloat on all that booty. The pics look like they belong in a catalog. Nice curlies, lathe, ewt's, dougs sweet stuff and the hollower, wow!

11. Well done on the pecan handles.......they look comfortable to the hands. Congrats on both them and the Jamison hollowing rig..........nice stuff. One question........does that pile of shavings go all the way to the floor?

Maybe time to break out the old broom and shovel!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Really nice handles Kathy. Congrats on your hollowing system.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    One question........does that pile of shavings go all the way to the floor?
    Those are very nice handles you turned Kathy, I like the design of the slimmer rear portion alot. And Roger is right that is one huge pile of shavings you have going on there! LOL....I have to clean up everytime I walk away from my lathe or it just bugs me crazy all night long, I even vaccume every nook and cranny on my lathe with my DC hose, probably a little OCD on my part.

Thanks Everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Well done on the pecan handles.......they look comfortable to the hands. Congrats on both them and the Jamison hollowing rig..........nice stuff. One question........does that pile of shavings go all the way to the floor?

Actually it was a bit taller, but I had to move the lathe out about 6" to give clearance for the tail rest for the Jaimeson and the pile deflated a bit
    I've thought about cleaning it up, but it makes a nice tool table and it's great for catching stuff that falls or flies off the lathe.
    I did bag up a few large bags of shavings from the front of the lathe, I was starting to get too tall to work comfortably