Thread: What TOOLS Do I REALLY Need For Intarsia?

What TOOLS Do I REALLY Need For Intarsia?

I need some advice from those in the know with the art of INTARSIA. I've already started the project, but am still at the point of using my Hitachi scroll saw to cut out the larger of the pieces. Other than my (sometimes) trusty scroll saw, here are the other items I have that will help my through the process:

- Delta OSS
    - Myriad of small rasps/files
    - Lots of sandpaper

Are there any other tools that I might want on hand as I move deeper into this process?

Thanks!!

- Keith

Carving tools, pnuematic sanding drums of various diameters, vacuum bag for gluing pieces to backing.

Also check out scrollsawer.com for more information

What little I've done,I have always wanted the Ridgid belt/spindle sander.I think its a must have on the Intarsia circuit.---Carroll
    http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/EB4424-Sander/

You can create a lot with what you have. Make a few things and you will know what other capabilities you need/want. One of the best things about Intarsia is the minimalism with which it can be made. I've seen beautiful work made with nothing more than a coping saw and sandpaper.

If you have a drill press, look in the Klingspor catalog for a flap sander setup for it. Not too expensive, and will do odd shaped parts.

Rick Potter