Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oak computer desk

Oak computer desk

I built this bookcase earlier this winter http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...case&highlight= , thought it might be nice to build a desk to go with it. I impemented most of the styling of the bookcase into the desk. The top is burl oak with an inlay banding. I applied shellac to the banding and inlay so I could stain the rest of the top, filled the grain and topcoated with water borne laquer.

I'm a little concerned with the cpu compartment though, it seems to get pretty warm when the door is closed for a few hours. The back has several 5/8" vent holes drilled but I'm concerned its not enough to keep the cpu cool. Any suggestions for further venting would be appreciated.

desk (1024 x 768).jpgcpu (1024 x 768).jpgside (1024 x 768).jpgtop (1824 x 1368).jpg

I'm not sure about the venting problem, but that is a beautiful desk. Well done.

Blog Entries
    Jeff,
    Beautiful desk and great craftsmanship.......
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Beautiful job on the desk Jeff. I really like the way you have done the corners. Really sets the project off...
    Thanks for the look see.

Jeff, get a usb powered fan and put it on the holes in the back. The problem you will also have is you need an air inlet as well as an air outlet.

Look at the thread for the desk I build for my father, i had vent inlets and an exhaust with a usb powered fan, so whenever the computer was running the fan would also run.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

Quote Originally Posted by alex grams View Post
    Jeff, get a usb powered fan and put it on the holes in the back. The problem you will also have is you need an air inlet as well as an air outlet.

Look at the thread for the desk I build for my father, i had vent inlets and an exhaust with a usb powered fan, so whenever the computer was running the fan would also run.
    I was going to say to use an old computer fan but the USB fan idea is better. I didnt even know they had USB fans. Thanks.

Jeff, man that is a beautiful desk. It really is. I sure would like to see more of the top if you ever get a chance
    <-------- Knows nothing of WoodWorking. Wants to know everything about WoodWorking.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alex grams View Post

I didn't know they had USB fans and was going to suggest muffin fans. Either way, I would suggest one intake fan and one exhaust fan.

edit: Beautiful desk, too.

Yes I would also suggest some sort of low voltage fan. But I'm not sure what kind of USB space you have avail, you would be better off with two as been stated above. One inlet and outlet hooked to a 24V transformer. Very easy fix and well worth the investment of your computer. They certainly don't like the heat.

Very nice. I especially like the top.

Beautiful Desk!!!!! +1 on a fan/fans, and place the inlet fan at the bottom of the compartment and the outlet at the top which will add to the effeciency of the cooling action. Make sure the inlet fan has a filter on it AND that it is mounted so it is easily accessable to change/clean the filter.
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

I second the filter on the inlet. For the desk I linked above with the inlet holes at the front bottom of the cabinet, I actually made a mount on the underside of the desk that allows a standard 12x15 air filter to be placed which filters any inlet air.

This is the best picture I could find of the ventilation arrangement. The filter can be changed by reaching under the front of the desk and pulling it out.

Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

Blog Entries
    This is a beautiful piece of work! The oak burl on the top is outstanding. As far as the venting issue goes, I recently built a media cabinet with similar considerations for the components. I left the back open in the bay that would house the components. I don't know how much alteration you want to do at this point, but you may consider that an option if you build the desk again. Awesome design, outstanding execution, and a pro finish for sure. Thanks for sharing.

Ben
    My blog: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/blog.php?70802-Ben-Arnott

i just leave my computer desk door open when computer is on because same set up as your desk.. without making more openings in desk not know what else can do>

Jeff -

Looks like dead on match to the bookcase....Both projects turned out really nice!!!

I'm in the process of building a computer desk with the same corner detail like you did..not the fluting part, but the 45 at the corners. That's where I'm getting stumped. I've just got a pic to go off of, but I can't put it together in my head.

Did you cut the panels at a certain angle so the corner piece would fit up, or is the carcass square and all the detail cuts on in the trim?

Thanks for the advice!

Blog Entries
    That sure is one very pretty desk!!! Stunning top. GReat work.
    Have a Nice Day!