Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rocket Launcher II Completed PICS

Blog Entries

Cool Rocket Launcher II Completed PICS

Well I finished up my turning tool rack. "The Rocket Launcher II"

I still have some arranging to do and I may add some things or remove them but for the most part I have Completed my Turning Tool Organization Project.

I give you - The Rocket Launcher II, Turning Tool Rack.

Overall Shot

Closer Shot

Shelf Under Rocket Launcher II

Mini 3 Drawer Unit on Shelf

Drawer 1 (Top) Has a bunch of miscellaneous stuff as it is the shallowest drawer.

Drawer 2- Has my 2 sets of Cole Jaws Face Plates, adapters and some Robert Sorby thickness devices, and some other stuff tossed in.

Drawer 3- Has my Detail Master and burning pens for it, and my HCT-30 Wood Carver, Sorby live center with a bunch of tips for it in the black box, and my Woodcraft Collet Chuck in the gray box.

Drawer 4- Has my Chucks, Various Jaws, some face plates and adapters, and my R. Sorby round bar modular tool rests.

Drawer 5- Has my Center Saver, HF Right Angle Drill for Power Sanding , the 3520B Tool Rest Riser for turning with the 18" bed in the lower position, and some Crown tools that there just wasn't any room for(even with 65 pvc tubes), and a Dial Caliper in the gray box.

The Drawers are alot more Managable now. And I hopefully won't be finding misplaced tools laying in wet shaving getting Rusty anymore.

Thanks for looking and any comments are welcome.
    Remember, you are NOT your post count.
    American & Proud
    ~Powermatic 3520B~
    "The GOLDStandard since 1921"
    Graphtec CE5000-60, FlexiSIGN PRO 8.6v2, Refine MH871,
    Photoshop CS5 Extended, Illustrator CS5, CorelDRAW X4, Wacom Intuos3 6x11, Wacom Cintiq, Dual 24" LCD's on MoView Stand, GraphixCALC Pro 2.0.4, QuickBooks 2010, Grain Fraim.

More Taj Mahal than Rocket Launcher

Great job, but it looks like it is already full up.

Scott, I am duly impressed!! The level of organization here is remarkable, though probably evidence of some newly acquired psychological deficit!! Don't know how quickly this OCD progresses, but if you stop to clean up shavings more than twice during the turning of a piece, I would recommend therapy!

Very nice work - both on the tool rack, again, and on the organizational efforts.

Blog Entries
    Been over 4 years in the making here, I just kept buying tools and no rack was anywhere near close enough to hold it all.

Cleaning me? OH NOO, if you saw the rest of my garage you would Not even think that about me.
    But I Finally got tired of anytime I wanted to turn something, I never could FIND the tools I KNEW I HAD.

Tools dropped in shavings not seen then find it in them Rusting after paying a good amount for the tool is just No fun. I am cleaning them off and at least the majority of my turning tools/supplies have a place to be returned to.
    I can ADD to the back and sides as needed when needed.

The impressive part is, I FINALLY got off my butt and Made this. lol
    American & Proud
    ~Powermatic 3520B~
    Photoshop CS5 Extended, Illustrator CS5, CorelDRAW X4, Wacom Intuos3 6x11, Wacom Cintiq, Dual 24" LCD's on MoView Stand, GraphixCALC Pro 2.0.4, QuickBooks 2010, Grain Fraim.

5. That is nice stuff, Scott! Makes me think about how I could fit one in my shop, and use the drawers in the cabinet I built for all my turning related tools, etc for more of the stuff, and get the tools out of it. Funny, when I built it, only about 7 months ago, I thought this will be more than enough room! HA!!!

Did I ever kid myself.................

Nice job, and thank you for sharing your build with us............it might just give some of us inspiration!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I feel like I just watched an episode of Scared Straight! The thought of how much $$$ is there sends shivers up a newbie's spine!

Very nice set up!

WOW! Somehow the word organized seems like such an understatement! Nice setup! You should be able to find anything you need - as long as you remember where in the world you put it!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

A lot of stuff in a little space... Nice work on getting everything organized.

I believe we should Scott's pictures as fair warning to poor unsuspecting souls who write in and say, "I have $500 to spend on a lathe, which one should I buy". A picture is worth 10 grand. Love it Scott. I am equally guilty in my own way. Someday I will post a picture of my carving chisel "hotel".
    faust

I just spent longer than I'd like to admit studying those photos, and saying things like 'I need one of those', 'I wonder what that's for', and 'I don't know what that is, but I want one'. My wife will be seeing these photos shortly in an effort to convince her that I NEED some new stuff.

The tool wrack is nice, but the contents have got me green with envy.

Lots of storage in a relatively small amount of space and as I looked at the pics, a not so subtle reminder of all the neccessary accesories. Very nicely done! Does it have a dust cover?

That is a bit scary to see how many tools you have, when I still have fewer than 10. On the other hand, I may save these pictures to show my wife if she ever remarks about how many tools I have purchased. Nice rack and storage!

Great ideal to use the toolbox for all the equipment that can go in drawers and the rack for all your turning tools keeps them right where you can see them. Your Rocket Launcher looks like it is packed to the brim and overflowing. I really like it. Where are you going to put the next set of tools?

Marc Himes

Blog Entries
    Thanks guys, it wasnt hard to build, I did it as my arm allowed. Pocket Holes made it Easy.

No dust cover, it's not a museum piece! lol

Added my Beall buffing wheels and compunds to the 5th drawer but no room for the Nova Ornamental Turner, the D.P. Scorpion, and the Jamieson. My 3 on Beall buffing wheels are mounted on a Delta 1460 lathe so they have a home.

Already got it covered in chips as seen here.

I like that I can just roll it to wherever I want it all. If I move the headstock down the bed I can just roll my tools there as well.

Roughing out some lidded box blanks to play with the Nova O. T. soon, and now turning a walnut crotch piece.

American & Proud
    ~Powermatic 3520B~

Alright I officialy am jealous of all the chucks you have! I am so tired of changeing out jaws 2-3 times a day from standard, to spigot, to mini-jumbo and back to standard...looks like another talon is in my future, body only at the very least. Good job on the tool rack.