Thread: A few ideas?

A few ideas?

So I get this Waaahoo! in the mail from my favorite supplier of curly blocks. Other than send it to one of you guys, yeah...I know... any idea's? About 6x6. I have never done a burl cap and this looks very stable. I'd really like to see as much of the burl on top as possible and the inclusion included (is that permissible?) too. Maybe a reverse tear-drop? No clue, so how 'bout it
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Jim, there are so many possibilities here!! Depending on what you do, you will lose a little from the top, and from the bottom, as well. You could do a David DeCristoforo style cup on a pedestal, and there is a drop dead gorgeous HF inside that piece - about 3" deep x 5.5-6" wide. Or, one could do a lidded piece - parting off the top and saving it for the lid - that would incorporate the void.

I assume the rest of the block is solid?

You may assume correctly sir. Perhaps Mr DeCristoforo would have me in his company for a day to see about such? I was also very happy with my new photo tent and pictures!!! I am a little proud of myself with a 5 mp camera...ha!!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Congrats on the burl chunk. As you know, the prettiest figure is likely to be right under the surface of the burl(the side that hurts to drag your hand across). Lots of ways you could go with this, but I'd probably do a natural edge hollow form using the spiky bits along the opening... If you can retain the void in the final form(without compromising the overall shape) then it's bonus time.

Now, about the name of your supplier...

Jim, that is a very nice pic - and, I should have mentioned that! You will, of course, need a lighter backdrop for certain turnings, but that one certainly does a great job with the lighter woods! The image you posted is 455 x 606. I would suggest you resize your pics to about 1024 x 800, and compress them to about 60 - 70% - maybe 80% on some. That should get you a really good sized image that is within the 107KB permitted image for posting.

That is an amazing piece of wood, I cant wait to see what comes out of it.

Probably no big surprise, but I would tend to go with a hollow form that keeps the top very close to what it is now. Always like seeing these burls! Good luck with whatever you choose to create!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

How about a carving of Bart Simpson?

Great piece, keep us posted.

Terry

"How about a carving of Bart Simpson?"

David DeCristoforo

Meditate with the wood and perhaps it WILL speak to you. If it says, "Bart"..... you know you took too much medication!

I vote for a natural edged stemed cup or the whole stemed HF with finial piece.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------