Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is Air Filtration with .3 micron Hepa Filters possible without spending thousands?

Quote Originally Posted by ed mendenhall View Post
    Hi Mreza, Your design looks great. If I have to build my own I will look to your design. Were you able to get .3 micron filters for your inner filters?
    Thanks. I should add those photos are before adding the second layer. I've just added two rubber bands (on each side) that run from the top to bottom
    and the outer filters slip under them (and over the inner filters). This way it's very easy to change them.
    I don't use HEPA rated, just the best filters available in typical BORG's (3m Filtrete's).

You can get really good filters though with MERV rating of 16. Here is one for example:
    http://www.amazon.com/AirTamer-Ultra...bxgy_hpc_img_b

You can get replacement filter for common woodshop ambient air filters from Wynn. The Wynn filters are rated MERV 14, designed to capture 75-85% of .3-1.0 micron particles.
    http://www.wynnenv.com/jet_filters.htm

The next step is to catch any residual dust in the air. From what I am reading .3 micron capture is recommended, yet these units/filters don't seem to be available. Are we left with no choice but to try to design and make our own.

Ed
    Honeywell makes one, f500, that filters at 99.97% (at 0.3 microns) but I would filter air before it reaches this unit
    http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-F500.../dp/B000X1DKT4

replacement filters are 150 bucks for the hepa one

has any thought about installing an electrostatic unit in their home built ambient air filter?

http://www.electro-breeze-supply.com...r_filters.html

thanks for the link

Quote Originally Posted by mreza Salav View Post
    Thanks. I should add those photos are before adding the second layer. I've just added two rubber bands (on each side) that run from the top to bottom
    and the outer filters slip under them (and over the inner filters). This way it's very easy to change them.
    I don't use HEPA rated, just the best filters available in typical BORG's (3m Filtrete's).

You can get really good filters though with MERV rating of 16. Here is one for example:
    http://www.amazon.com/AirTamer-Ultra...bxgy_hpc_img_b

Quote Originally Posted by phil harold View Post
    Honeywell makes one, f500, that filters at 99.97% (at 0.3 microns) but I would filter air before it reaches this unit
    http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-F500.../dp/B000X1DKT4

replacement filters are 150 bucks for the hepa one

has any thought about installing an electrostatic unit in their home built ambient air filter?

http://www.electro-breeze-supply.com...r_filters.html

those look like interesting units, particularly the electro breeze. Maybe I should go with Jet, etc with 1 micron and add one of those whole house hepa units to my ac ducts.

Maybe I'm over thinking this whole thing. I never gave it a thought until I came across Bill Pentz's site and all the forum discussions. (glad I did though)

any opinions on this unit??? http://grizzly.com/products/G0573

Thanks David, Maybe I'll try contacting Bill through his site. Sounds like if the cyclone is set up correctly to begin with, I shouldn't be overly concerned with the ambient unit using true hepa filters. Shoot for 15 or 16 merv.....
    I think you've got the right idea... FWIW, you asked about the G0573, I have the G0572, and honestly wish the filters had the same MERV ratings as the G0573. My main issues with the issue you pointed out are size, and air flow. The low speed CFM is just a bit lower than my highest, and that is a LOT of air movement...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Frank, that looks like a nice unit. A little pricey though, if i had the capital I would go that route and not be so worried about the air filtration.
    Totally understand Ed. I have pollen allergies and have a family history of other allergies. So, you can say I am more likely to develop problems with dust than others... And I really want to continue woodworking. For this reason, I did not mind paying for it and wish I had gotton one years ago...
    Good luck with your search...

Do you think that much air flow would be detrimental? (my entire basement is about 1,200 sq/ft with 2/3 for the shop) Is it a bad trade off for the .3 micron filter? I also assume it will be loud.

I know more the cfm the better with cyclones, is that different with ambient filters?

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by David Hostetler View Post
    I think you've got the right idea... FWIW, you asked about the G0573, I have the G0572, and honestly wish the filters had the same MERV ratings as the G0573. My main issues with the issue you pointed out are size, and air flow. The low speed CFM is just a bit lower than my highest, and that is a LOT of air movement...

I have a 18x22 shop with a Jet AFS-1000B filter with the Wynn internal filter and a Home Depot outer filter. I also have a Jet JCDC-3 dust collector. I also have a Dylos air quality monitor that measures down to .3 microns. When I pollute the air with small particles there Jet air filter removes them down to a safe level in about 10 minutes. I can tell you from experience that the Jet air filter works. Collecting at the machine is not 100% even if you have a great dust collection system. Shaving a piece on the table saw will really spit out a lot of small particles. Small particles stay in the air for a very long time.
    Michael Dilday
    Suffolk, Va.

Ed, I have a cyclone with a HEPA filter, the shop air is cleaner with it running than outdoor air, or any other room in my house.

Since the really small particles aren’t separated by the cyclone, they are captured by the filter, it shouldn’t matter what device you use them on as long as it is fairly leak free.

Regards, Rod

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Babel View Post
    I strap a Filtrete Ultimate filter onto a box fan, set it next to where I am working, and work away.
    This is in addition to my DC system (Oneida).
    I used to do that until I realized that a box fan simply doesn't have the chops to deal with the pressure loss across anything other than a cheap furnace filter. Yea, it sorta of works. You might be pushing a couple of hundred cfm, vs 1000 cfm with an ambient air cleaner with a squirrel cage fan. If you really need a budget solution, start with an old furnace blower. That could accommodate a prefilter and a HEPA filter.
    NOW you tell me...

I mounted a used furnace fan under my homemade bench. completely closed and sealed off one half of the bench underneath. then cut 24x24" openings in both sides.Installed 24"x24" bag filters with 24"x24"x4" prefilters. Have changed the prefilters a couple of times have not changed the bag filters yet. Have a magnehelic monitoring the pressure drop and it has yet to rise enough to change the bag filters. Turn it o when I go down in the basement to work and turn it off days later. Wife comes down and says she can't smell anything and her allergies don't flair up as long as I do this. If I cut on table or radial arm saw, use the router, sander or wide belt sander without doing this she can tell even if she is not in the house when i do and comes home later. I have a cyclone with 3hp and 2 hp dust collectors that automatically come on when using any stationary tool. A shop vac with cyclone hard piped for use with hand power tools and the over blade guard on table saw.