Thread: Batten Press

Batten Press

So I'm in the process of gluing the back and top together. I tried to make a batten press but it seems to be too loose. I was able to glue up the back but the glue joint is questionable. So before I glue the top together, I'm open to any and all tips.
    Thanks,
    Matt

Forgive my ignorance, but what's a batten press?

Sorry, I saw it called that somewhere. It's where you put some nails on either side of a large workboard just a little in from edge of the top board width. Then there is a small stick that props up the glue joint. Glue is applied then the stick is removed. This is supposed to apply enough pressure to glue the top together.

I prefer the go-bar deck. The trick is making one light enough and stiff enough at the same time. I finally got one I could live with, big enough for harp guitars. If there is any interest I will discuss further. No big deal to make one and expense is small.

Nails? Bah, that's too much work. I take a piece of MDF for a base, and clamp two more straight pieces of MDF to act as stops (instead of nails). How you did it is very sound if you get it just right, but using a couple of strips of wood is just easier to adjust.