Thread: Problem Removing Poly

Problem Removing Poly

OK...I need some quick help trying to find a remedy to one of my latest "DUH!!" moments. I had a small project that needed a quick gloss poly topcoat. I opted for rattle-can spray poly. Since it was below 20 degrees in my shop, I needed to do this in the (unfinished) basement. Instead of doing it the smart way...on the concrete floor...I opted to lay down some cardboard over out high-end air hockey table. I thought I had enough cardboard spread out, but I ended up with some over-spray to the left and the right, meaning that I have an area in front of each goal that has dried poly "dots". To add to the problem is that I didn't realize this until about a week after it happened.

Needless to say, the family is less than pleased. Is there a way for me to remove the poly over-spray without damaging the air hockey table's surface? PLEASE tell me that I haven't permanently damage the table...

- Keith
    "Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker. "

I'd start with typical cleaning agents first--ammonia, alcohol, etc. Dirtex is pretty good. Spray it on, and give it some time to work before trying to wipe it off, but test the amount of time you leave it on--I don't know what that surface is made of, and water-based products may get in the airholes and cause it to swell.

There's also a product called "Painter's Pal"--which smells to me like a sort of citrus-based cleaner/stripper.

Goof-Off works pretty well, or you could try Lacquer Thinner or Xylene. Whatever you try to use, I'd put a drop in the very corner of the table and let it sit for a while to see what it does to the surface.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

See the sticky post in this forum on how to determine a finish. This will aid you in determining the finish on your hockey table...and then you can figure out what to try and what not to try.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Thanks for the tips, Jason. I started with what was most accessable for me at the moment...Goof Off. I tested in the corner, and didn't see any adverse effects. A lot of elbow grease seems to have done the trick.
    "Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker. "