Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would you rather be good at math or english?

Would you rather be good at math or english?

Following up on the "why can't people write" thread, I've thought about that several times over the last few weeks. I started to think, why would writing be more important than, say, Math? I thought about a ton of jobs that had math, but english didn't really mean so much. Take software programming. You can write an application for the iphone, mostly using math and code, and make a million dollars or more. You can be a carpenter and build houses and buildings and not be able to use "your" or "you're" in the proper context. You can build machines, do woodworking, metalworking, work with stone and many other things.

It made me think- would I rather be good at math or english, and I'd have to pick math. Math has got me a long way in my career. Without it, I wouldn't own a house or have the things I have. However, I can't say English has been such a great provider for my income. It's nice to know, but can it make me money? Pay my mortgage? Put food on my table? So far, not so much for me.

Of course, English is very important, and this thread is done tongue in cheek, but it did make me think about which one I'd rather be good at. Not saying you can only have 1, but if you could be great at one and okay at the other, which would it be and why?
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I'll take math. Mathematics describes the world. For example, in my field (electrical engineering) math describes how circuits work. So the question is, "Is God a mathematician?"

[That reminds me of a joke. What's the difference between a surgeon and God? Answer: God doesn't think he's a surgeon.]

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I will take "both". You can't really be good at mathematics without being a good reader. I don't mean like calculus, i mean like theoretical mathematics.

I work in a profession that is very mathematically oriented, but each year, clients expect more out of us. The mathematical ability is a given, but the ability to write, communicate and speak to them (the clients) is a little more important every year. The people who can't do both are finding it harder to get a job or keep a job.

Kinda like asking "what would you rather do without, arts or science". Just depends on your personality type I suppose. Everybody obviously needs some of both, but most would probably lean one way over another.
    To answer your question, though, I would lean toward math, probably because it's always interested me and therefore I became better at it (I think).

Math, for it's pure logic. When was the last time a well written paper put a man on the moon?
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

Mathematics.
    David B

Both are important, but I rather be considered better in math.

English. I'd rather be understood than clever.
    Paul

Both are very important, but if I had to choose, I'd choose math. Given my choice of hobbies (and even career) I'd rather be a happy hermit than a literate incompetent.
    Not all chemicals are bad. Without hydrogen or oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.

a mathematical genius who can't communicate what he knows wouldn't be worth much ................ though i tend to prefer math to english myself

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Peterson View Post
    Math, for it's pure logic. When was the last time a well written paper put a man on the moon?
    I seem to remember a couple of well written speeches by a Mr Kennedy which seemed to get the whole thing off the ground.

The question should probably have been "Math or Language" (as in communication skills).

While english is the language of choice in most of North America, it is not as universal as we would like to believe. Superior math skills will be of little use if you cannot communicate. IMHO there are two ways poor communication skills can handicap you; first, you must be able to communicate in order to pass results to others. The second is that poor communication skills can cause your credibility to be doubted.

I work in the IT field and communication is very important - especially now that many of the suppoort people speak (and write) english as a second language - sometimes so poorly that it is almost impossible to understand what they mean. We had a CIO that was from India - this led to the hiring of a number of people from India - primarily in networking. It took a long time for the staff to be able to understand each other.

MKy previous job was in an IT shop where the Manager was Cantonese and one of the analysts was mandarin. The manager was second generation american the analyst was born in the geogrphic center of China. Even though the analyst spoke fluent english, he could not communicate abstract ideas in english. Most of our meetings were reduced to talking then using paper to draw what was meant. After 15 years there the ability to exchange ideas had not improved very much. The manager had very good communication skills bout had the same problem with the analyst since they each spoke a different form of chinese and neither could speak or understand the others dialect.

Math is very important but so is language. If your language skills are poor it is much more difficult to learn math (or pretty much anything else).

Blog Entries
    Glenn,

I'm sure Steve's mention choice of math or English was not meant to be taken so literally... proper written/oral skills was the obvious intent.

Despite my career, I would have to choose math. If you had a passion and skill for it, you wouldn't need great language skills, as you would have the communication skill necessary to show someone else in the art what you have done step by step.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Blog Entries
    I'm retired from a career in Finance. In my career I went from financial analyst, to supervisor, to manager, to director, to vice president. Each of those progressions was a result of strong communication skills (i.e. English) which were far more important than my math skills. I'd choose English/Communication
    Dennis

Blog Entries
    Dennis,

Would it be fair to say, however, that you would not have been presented with those advancement opportunities had it not been for some strong math skills that allowed you into the field in the first place?
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5