Thread: Rocket Launcher II Build (Tool Rack) PICS

Blog Entries

Cool Rocket Launcher II Build (Tool Rack) PICS

Project- Rocket Launcher II
    Searching threads I recently came across Ken Whitneys Tool Rack he made in this thread,http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...t=#post1588127 , and contacted him for more info on it. Ken was nice enough to send me more info and pics, he also posted that info and pics here for all to use.> http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...cher-Tool-Rack

The "Rocket Launcher" as Ken calls it has 1 1/2" diam PVC tubes. The box is bolted onto the top of a rolling tool cart. And has five rows of 13 tubes with 12", 10", 8", and two 6" rows, so 65 tubes total. The back of the box is open and the tubes are friction fit and can be lifted out, so that shavings can be periodically removed.

I am building it and doing some Modifications to Kens original design.

I have the 5 rows of 13, using 2 rows of 6" tall tubes, the a row of 8" tubes, Then I cut the 10" tubes and decided to Add a 2" Riser under the 10" tubes, I then cut another row at 10" instead of Kens original 12", and Added a 4" Riser under that row.

Giving the back two rows Lift and some Separation.

I think Kens design has all the rows sitting on the botton of the "box" so just the tube length is different, I noticed the tools business ends all sorta close and thought the Risers would give them some Lift and help seperate the tools heights making it a little safer reaching to grab tools in the back rows.

I may adjust my Risers as needed once I start using my "Rocket Launcher II"

I am also Lifting the whole unit by placing a box with a shelf under it to store sandpaper disks, glues, and finishes plus whatever else will fit in it, this too may be Lowered if I find it places the tools on top to high for me.
    I am using my Kreg K3 Master System pocket hole jig for the first time on this project so I could disassemble and recut to lower the bottom shelf unit if needed.

Heres some pics of both units Before final assembly with just clamps holding them together. I wanted to "Test Fit" everything befor I screwed them all together. I will use glue on the Rocket Launcher II unit right away, but hold off gluing the lower unit until I decide if it makes my tools to high up or not.

This will really Organize ALOT of my turning stuff.

Thanks Ken for sharing your design.

I just placed all the tools in to see how they fit and make any changes if needed, the Skews will go in sharp side down once I actually organize the tools in the rack itself.

Still have some that won't fit in the rack, I will make a small rack and mount it to the rolling cabinets side for those large heavy scrapers.

I will post a pic of both units together once they both are finished.

Thanks for lookin.
    Last edited by Scott Hubl; 02-14-2011 at 9:56 AM. Reason: Corrected Link
    Remember, you are NOT your post count.
    American & Proud
    ~Powermatic 3520B~
    "The GOLDStandard since 1921"
    Graphtec CE5000-60, FlexiSIGN PRO 8.6v2, Refine MH871,
    Photoshop CS5 Extended, Illustrator CS5, CorelDRAW X4, Wacom Intuos3 6x11, Wacom Cintiq, Dual 24" LCD's on MoView Stand, GraphixCALC Pro 2.0.4, QuickBooks 2010, Grain Fraim.

That looks like a pretty formidable arsenal, hope they don't all launch at once.!

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Scott, I have seen a lot of cool storage racks, of various designs. I don't nean to appear negative as it shows that you put a lot of thought and work into a fine finished product. But is reaching across the front rows of tools to get something behind a dicey exercise... such as an occasional nick, cut or puncture? Maybe it isn't as hazardous as it looks when using it in real life. Heavens knows that we need organization and storage in a small footprint.

Scott,

Great job on the rack. It is a formidable launcher!

Fred,

I keep frequently used and smaller items up front and they are easy to reach. I did say in one of my posts that I keep skew chisels edge down for the reason you mention. I learned that the hard way. Other than that one encounter with a skew chisel, I've not had any problems with edges, points, etc.

That is a great looking setup Scott.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Blog Entries
    Thanks guys.

Been awhile since I have been out in the garage doing anything. Took me 1/2 a day just to clear off the tablesaw! lol
    My arm and hand are messed up so I can't just tackle a job like this, one two three, like I used to be able to do.

Gotta keep stopping and resting my arm and eating Tylenol, it sucks, but it at least it feels good to get out in my little shop a couple hours here and there.

Have had the kreg pocket hole jig for a few years and never even got to use it, until this little project.
    Pretty nice and easy to work with they are. I bought 3 of the kreg pocket hole DVD's so I watched them, and Actually sat down and Read the Manual. lol

As of right now in these pics the tools are all UP just to see them as I said in my post the Skews will be down and others as needed. Just wanted to get some pics with everything in it, not in there final locations I am sure but for a viewer visual and not just show you all a bunch of Handles.

Again, this is Kens Design, I am just adding a couple minor tweaks to suit my needs.
    Remember, you are NOT your post count.
    American & Proud
    ~Powermatic 3520B~
    "The GOLDStandard since 1921"
    Graphtec CE5000-60, FlexiSIGN PRO 8.6v2, Refine MH871,
    Photoshop CS5 Extended, Illustrator CS5, CorelDRAW X4, Wacom Intuos3 6x11, Wacom Cintiq, Dual 24" LCD's on MoView Stand, GraphixCALC Pro 2.0.4, QuickBooks 2010, Grain Fraim.

That is a rack to inspire some jealousy, not to mention the tool envy! Very nice looking.

Wow, I really like that.

Good job Scott. I notice you and Ken both mention "friction fit" on the PVC. You might want to use a little epoxy in one spot on each one. I built a bucket holder on the same principle and over time they became loose and if the tool is a tight fit in the PVC it can pull out with the tool. Just a "lesson learned" to take in. I like the cart though. Looks like you consolidated and maximized your space for most of your turning tools you need at hand.

Brian,

One of the reasons I glued the tubes together in each row was the hope that the combined weight of the tube row, friction, weight of the tools in the other tubes, etc. would keep the tubes in place when a tool is pulled. I originally considered screwing the end tubes of each row to the back slat to keep things in place, but so far the rows seem to hold well.

In your bucket holder was the epoxy used to hold the tubes together or to the bucket?

Ken,
    I glued to tubes together. You could then remove all the tubes if you so wanted as one unit. I've gone away from the bucket due to chips building up in the bottom and to vacuum out the bucket was just a pain since I had to remove all the tools to do it. I still haven't found the "perfect" solution for my tiny shop.