Thread: Sorby SandMaster

Sorby SandMaster

I picked up one of these 2 weeks ago, and got around to useing it the past couple of days on a couple of projects I have going, and I have to say this is a great tool, it got my sanding time WAY down as compared to doing it by hand as I have been on the outside of my turnings, I even used this on an entire bowl I am doing...just need to put the finish on it and then its done. I cant even tell you how much difference there is in sanding I was completely impressed with this thing. It only came with a few sanding disks and I grabbed just a couple of extra packs while I was there to get me going, but plan on ordering some good ones from Vince soon. I dont have the extra money to buy a good right angle drill right now, so this was a nice compromise until I can get the funds up for one.

Now for a question, does anyone here have the Sorby "Micro" SandMaster? I have a couple of pieces with very narrow openings and there is no way the regular one will get in to sand, and I cant get my fingers in far enough to do it, does anyone here know if the Micro will go through and work in an area "under" "1 1/4 inches?

If not, or if you know of some tricks that would help me sand through such a small opening and to a depth of "5-6 inches please let me know what they are, I just cant bring myself to call it good and leave it like it is you know. Thanks, Tim

Haven't tried the micro - I use a pair of long forceps that I bought. I will sometimes wrap a piece of sandpaper around a small wad of steel wool, hold it in the clamp and use that to sand with. You can also pad a small stick (popsicle stick or tounge depressor) with craft foam and use peel and stick sandpaper on top of that.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Haven't used one but do like Thom does. I use some foam and wrap with sandpaper then clamp with the forceps. Works pretty well.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thanks guys, I will pick up some foam at the Hardware store this morning and give it a shot! Thanks again, Tim

Hi Tim,
    I use a pair of Artery forceps that lock when nipped closed.
    Ideal for getting into little places and keeping fingers out of harms way

take care
    Don W

Thanks for the info Don, I meant to post here yesterday when I got done in the shop and then just completely forgot about it, this is what I did. What I found at the hardware store was some rubber bottle stoppers, I grabbed a couple that are "1 in diameter, I also grabbed some foam sanding pads that I found there, the pads are about a "1/4 thick...I cut a strip and taped it to the rubber stopper and made sure it would fall in such a way as to go with the rotation of the lathe when turned on. The rubber stoppers are tapered. I chucked the stopper into my spigot jaws and center drilled a "1/4 hole in the middle, and pushed a "1/4x20 by "5 bolt through the middle of the stopper with the taper facing away from me, added a washer top and bottom of the stopper then finaly a nylon lock nut. This ended up working very well to sand the inside of the small vase I am doing, and the taper on the bottle stopper rode perfectly from the wider top portion of the vase down through the narrow lower portion. I changed out the foam sanding strips I had cut several times going from coarse to fine and although it is not as good a sanding job as I can do on the outside, I am a lot more pleased with it then just leaving it unfinished on the inside. I grabbed some extra bottle stoppers in different sizes for future uses. Thanks for everyones input and help on this, Tim