Thread: Please help me select a heater

Please help me select a heater

I am looking at the heaters on this site - http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...22+155626&Ne=2

I am only looking at the heaters which are 240 volts, as I feel they will be the only ones that will heat the shop. The shop is uninsilated - it is the basement of my house which is made of cinder block. The shop occupies a 16'x25'x9' space within a 36'x25'x9' basement. Eventually my shop will be separated by drywall once I finish the rest of the basement. But for now, it's all open.

On that web site, there is an $80 heater which is 4800 watts. Then there are other heaters that are nearly as powerful for a lot more money. Is this going to be situation of you get what you pay for, or do you think it is a good heater?

Thanks
    Stefan

I have a Farenheat 4000W wall heater in the 16x20 protion of my shop. 3 walls are insulated and sheetrocked; one 'wall' is plastic sheeting with a walkway of several 'loose' sheets of plastic. The part of the shop on the other side of the plastic is uninsulated, with open rafter tails. When it's cold outside, it's cold in that area. But in the heated area, it's toasty. If it's 20 degrees outside, I can keep the 16x20 space at 65-70 degrees...at a cost. I heated pretty much all month last month as I finished up a cabinet job, and it cost me $144.

We have a Patton 4000 space heater in the house (1344sf) as the only source of heat, and it's only uncomfortable a few days every year.

Last month I installed the Fahrenheat 5000 watt in my 20x20 shop (old garage converted). All four walls are insulated, but the ceiling is open. It was 14 degrees this morning and the shop heated in about 25 minutes. I work well when the temps are in the low 60s. I am very pleased with the unit and would recommend it. One nice feature is that if you do not need a 5000W heater, you can rewire it in several steps down to what you need. Just change the wire positions on the board. This unit will require a 30 amp circuit and hard wiring to the panel. Another feature is the fact that there is no open coil to worry about in a dusty situation . The heating element is enclosed and surrounded by fins to increase the radient heating surface. Good luck. Keith
    If mama ain't happy............you know the rest!

Thanks guys for those recommendations. I guess the decision is if I should cheap out and go for the $80 heater. Or get one that people have said is good. I know better, but these days, saving money is a concern.

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Antwarg
    I know better, but these days, saving money is a concern.
    Ain't that the truth.

Definitely check out the different models on Epinions or even Amazon. I read the reviews on both sites to get opinions before I buy something.