Thread: Would metal spinning be considered metalworking?

Would metal spinning be considered metalworking?

Would metal spinning be considered metal working? I’m thinking of getting back into spinning some bowls.

Considering it's metal, and you're 'working' (forming) it; yeah, I'd consider it metal working. Probably more so than machining.

3. Metal spinning.

Yes. From way back.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Fabre View Post
    Would metal spinning be considered metal working? I’m thinking of getting back into spinning some bowls.

In high school (after the last ice age) I used aluminum to spin bowls, now I would like to try copper, what other metals can be used?

Blog Entries
    You can use almost anything, but aluminum and copper are the best choices because they're:
    a) Easy to get a hold of in large quantities
    b) Safe to handle
    c) Highly malleable (with annealing, in the case of copper)

I cannot think of anything else off of the top of my head that matches these specs...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Pewter is by far the easiest to spin. Does not work harden. But it is soft and needs a rolled edge or other technique to make it stiff. It is the best to learn on except it is more expensive.

Perry

John,

If you decide to do this please post! I have never seen much about it but it has always seems interesting. I would be good to see your rig and some progress pictures!

John

Sure will share, may not be pretty at first.

Spinning

Spinning is something I'd like to try too. I would love to hear more about:

• Tools. What's the basic starting set look like? Make them? Buy them?
    • Tool rest. Looks like several holes for a moveable peg to lever against? Make it? Buy it? Fits in a woodworking lathe's banjo?
    • Live center for the tailstock. Can you use a machinist's live center, or is it a specialized one?
    • Forms. Since you're spinning against a wooden form, this seems like a perfect intersection of wood and metal skills. What does a wood turner need to know about making a form?

Here's one piece of tutorial material I've found:
    http://www.stanford.edu/group/prl/do...l/spinning.htm

the link will provide a good starting point to begin with, I
    would be sure to make a dimple in the form and a convex
    point in the tail stock form to fit

Metal working would be correct, but metal shaping is more accurate. Metal shaping is the term used for the crafts of shrinking, spinning, stretching, etc. - basically any metal work involved with taking a piece of metal (usually sheet metal) and changing the shape without cutting or welding. The tools are the lathe (for spinning), English wheel, power hammers, planishing hammers, louver presses and dies, bead rollers and the like.

Oneway sells tool rests for spinning, and they have some links including the Stanford one referenced by John above. The site http://www.metalspinningworkshop.com/ sells tools for spinning as well as DVD's.

Also, do a search for the book "Metal Spinning" by Reagan and Smith. It was originally published in 1936, but it is a great reference book for beginning metal spinning tools, techniques, metals etc.

spinning.jpg
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

Quote Originally Posted by Jon McElwain View Post
    Metal working would be correct, but metal shaping is more accurate. Metal shaping is the term used for the crafts of shrinking, spinning, stretching, etc. - basically any metal work involved with taking a piece of metal (usually sheet metal) and changing the shape without cutting or welding. The tools are the lathe (for spinning), English wheel, power hammers, planishing hammers, louver presses and dies, bead rollers and the like.

Oneway sells tool rests for spinning, and they have some links including the Stanford one referenced by John above. The site http://www.metalspinningworkshop.com/ sells tools for spinning as well as DVD's.

Also, do a search for the book "Metal Spinning" by Reagan and Smith. It was originally published in 1936, but it is a great reference book for beginning metal spinning tools, techniques, metals etc.

spinning.jpg
    Great information, thanks Jon. I can't wait to get started.

That may be the book that Lindsay Books reprinted. (no affiliation just a really cool catalog and happy customer) They have offered a couple recently. Try not to fall over when you price copper. Scrap is over $3 a pound now.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Here is a link you may like for a couple of books (old). One link for Crawshaw is a duplicate and the first link is to his book broken. You can read them on line but their reader is really dorky so I down load to read in Adobe. The downloads are free.
    http://www.archive.org/search.php?qu...iatype%3Atexts
    or
    http://tinyurl.com/4fczeys
    There are others where parts of the book concern metal spinning.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe