Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just another Walnut coffe table with storage from a newb

Smile Just another Walnut coffe table with storage from a newb

Girlfriend wanted a coffee table. She stood in the living room and put her arms out and said "I want it about this wide by this long by this tall. And, I want a great big drawer i can put stuff in. You know blankets and stuff, for when they are not on the couch."
    Dimensions 39"x41"x19-1/2" tall. Happy Valentines Day. I still had some fitting of the top and drawer to do in the pics, as well as more finish application.
    Inside right.jpg16 front.jpgtop 2.jpgleft side.jpgInside open right.jpg4 coats of T&T Linseed Oil/Varnish. So far.

Blog Entries
    Nice looking table. Big, but you had your instructions. Nice job.

Nice job. Box joints look terrific!

Can't argue with the boss.... And one can't have enough brownie points...
    Nice job on both counts Bill. And real nice job on the coffee table.

Thanks all for the kind words. I was in a car wreck in December of last year and broke my back. My girlfriend has been basically taking care of me since the accident. I dont know what I would have done without her. I cant get around very well yet so I have been limited to piddling around the house. I thought that dusting off the tools would help occupy my time while I healed. I can only stand for a few minutes at a time, but just like Benjamin Buttons, I get stronger every day. So, this is what I have done so far. I have to say that SMC and woodworking have probably been the best thing for me during my recovery. She saw a stickley style sideboard on the cover of American Woodworker Magazine Winter 2011 Edition. She said "I want that now"....Uh Oh, I think I may be in trouble...
    By the way, the projects I have seen on here have been just downright humbling.

Blog Entries
    Bill, Great to see your post man. This looks REAL good. I'm impressed. Good thought, and execution. The walnut is beautiful.

It's a good size piece, and yet it still looks very refined and I'm sure it will settle into your living room quite nicely! Then you'll get to have some fun staring at it. LOL

I'm glad to hear your back is getting stronger. A physical injury can challenge our mental state at times. The more you can get into the shop for short stints the better probably.

BTW - Can't wait to see the Stickley Sideboard!
    My blog: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/blog.php?70802-Ben-Arnott

That's very nice work. I'm a fan of the knots you've chosen to highlight. It's natural without being rustic.

What's the dimension on the drawer? Curious what you used to cut the dovetails or box joint there.

I like the grain choice on the top. Very pretty.

Thanks Derek,
    It actually darkened quite a bit overnight. I think it is going to look deep and rich over time. Hey what kind of woodworking tool is that you are holding? I don't think I have ever seen one of those. Is that a Wood Splinterer .223 series?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey Ben, Hi Prashun,

Yes, the photos make it look kind of crowded, but it actually fits quite nicely. I had it a bit too close to fireplace in these photos, but it centers out nicely when correctly placed. Yes it is big. That was the biggest (no pun intended) challenge. When she told me what she wanted and the size, I was like UHHHH OK, if thats what you want. I wasnt sure how mixing the styles (flush drawer front to raised ogee side panels) was going to work, but it came out ok i think if I had it to do over again, I would have made them flat like Ben did on his doors and broke i up with a stile in the middle. When I finished it I was unsure, but then chuckled to myself and said, heck by the time you get around to the side you forgot what the front looks like. She watched me make it from start to finish. I think she enjoyed it just as much as I did. Well, I would not exactly say all the hand rubbing was enjoyable. Im still sore from it.

Prashun, The drawer measures 31 wide, by 30 long, by 11 deep. The dovetails on all four corners were cut on a jig I bought about 10 years ago, I think it was at Harbour Freight for about $30. Before I started the table I had to go through and basically restore, throw out, whatever a lot of my tools because they had been stored in the barn and gotten rusty. (&^%$#) My craftsman router I bought with the jig had siezed, so I bought a new PC 690lr.

Not sure what happened, but the photos went to the next post. ?

Very nice looking chest, and I bet it made you feel good to accomplish it after such an accident. I'm very impressed you could do that while recovering from such an injury--good on ya! I like the dovetails on the drawer.
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Bill, I like that a lot! Something similar would be perfect for our family room which has a big coffee table and a bunch of games and toys stored in the open underneath.

Great job all around. Even walnut for the drawer bottom.

You are obviously not a beginner. Hope your recovery goes quickly.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Thank you Mr. Null, I just thought about what you said about being a beginner. I looked at the newb note in the posting. I never meant to say I was a newb to woodworking, although it has been 10 years since I picked up a Woodworking tool, really. I meant it as I was new to the site. Apologies to the members. Less than 20 posts and I am already in trouble. Punishment. 50 lashes and no woodworking for another 10 years.

I agree with Prashun, and couldn't find a better way to say it than how it said it: the knots look natural but not rustic. Very nice work!