Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Higher grade saw or saw and dust collection?

I'd get as good a tablesaw as I could (and I'd definitely look for a good quality, used machine first), but I wouldn't want to operate most woodworking equipment without dust collection; aside from the respiratory issues, a shop all covered in sawdust is, to me, totally depressing, and I'm not at all a neatness freak. The biggest offenders in terms of throwing dust all over, IMO, are the tablesaw, planer, router, and lathe; bandsaw, jointer and drill press, a little less so.

No need, though, for an expensive, fully piped-in system running to all your machines, certainly not for a home shop; for under $300 you can get a very decent 2 h.p. system and drag the hose from machine to machine, as Cary suggests. Worked for me for years, and I did the work for a living.
    Last edited by Frank Drew; 02-13-2011 at 6:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Not sure what publications Joseph reads but the PM2000 along with the SS ICS and PCS and new Uni are always at the top of the reviews.
    FYI, i was referring to wood magazine. their most recent tests of 3hp cabinet, hybrid and contractor table saws all included jet and powermatic products. and in all three tests, no WMH tool group product was rated as either a top tool or a top value. i just believe that if a manufacturer chooses to charge a premium for their products, they should, occasionally, stand out in comparative reviews. the only time wmh products have received any recognition in wood magazine tool tests in the last 5 years are in tool categories where they are one of only a few manuacturers producing that product (e.g., drum sanders, air cleaners and large combo jointer/planers)

perhaps Van Huskey can provide some information on the publication(s) which rate(ed) the pm2000 as a top tool in a comparative tool test.